Palisadesk:fallacy of fluent decoding without comprehension

Please contribute past postings from the message board that you have have found particularly inspiring.

Moderators: maizie, Lesley Drake

g.carter

Palisadesk:fallacy of fluent decoding without comprehension

Post by g.carter » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:06 am

Flagged up by Susan G - well worth reading the complete post:

On the Kitchen table math blog, palisadesk has done a posting answering the question, 'Is it true there are lots of kids who decode fluently but have extremely poor reading comprehension?'

Quote:
Not really. You find the phenomenon of children who decode very well but understand almost nothing in only two populations: children with intellectual disabilities and children with very limited English.

http://kitchentablemath.blogspot.com/20 ... oders.html

cartwheel

Post by cartwheel » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:37 am

This post is surely an "instant classic."
I would love to hear more from Palisadesk about the one:one testing that was done in her middle school. How was the decoding/comprehension issue actually tested? Was it as individualized as implied, or was it standardized in some way?

Jennie

palisadesk

Post by palisadesk » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:41 am

deleted -- I wished to answer Jenny (USA)'s questions but felt that there was too much detail to be left long-term on a public forum.

The delete option did not appear anywhere when I tried to do this (there is usually an X in the upper right corner, next to the "edit" box, but it did not appear).

I have copies of the information and can share with interested persons privately.
Last edited by palisadesk on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cartwheel

Post by cartwheel » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:24 am

Thank you, Palisadesk, for the detailed information about the testing.

You mentioned in the original blog that dozens, perhaps 100, students were determined to be poor decoders. How many students were tested overall?

What actual changes were made as a result? This was at the middle school level, correct?, so were all the changes made in the form of remediation outside the classroom? Did any change occur in feeder elementary schools?

Jennie