Dyslexia

Please contribute past postings from the message board that you have have found particularly inspiring.

Moderators: maizie, Lesley Drake

g.carter

Dyslexia

Post by g.carter » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:49 pm

dickschutz
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:58 pm Post subject:

Until someone starts doing large-scale tests on babies (preferably new-borns, but up to 12 months would still be very revealing), I don't see how you can distinguish between genetic and environmental causes for inefficient use of the brain.

As D McGuinness has pointed out, the child development research lit and reading research lit are worlds apart, and there is little communication between the two research communities. But aggregate infants are making visual, auditory, and conceptual discriminations and generalizations that are far more complicated than those involved in reading. And there are simple means of "diagnosing" kids who can't, just as there are simple ways of determining if a child can read (i.e. Say, "Read this and tell me what it says.") There are several good secondary references that can be picked up cheap used Golinkoff and Hirsch-Pasek, How Babies Talk; Gopnik, Meltzroff, and Kuhl, The Scientist in the Crib ; Eliot, What's Going on in There--among others.

The best "diagnostic test" for "dyslexia, is not testing the kid but testing the teachers and the product/protocols that are being used. If anything other than a legitimate SP programme architecture is involved, children run a high risk of later being labeled "dyslexic."