Slow processing?

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

LGP

Slow processing?

Post by LGP » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi - I'm a parent-turned-SP tutor.

I've just assessed a Y2 boy (using Sounds-Write and Burt reading age materials) at the request of his mother - she is friends with the mother of another child I tutor.

He scored really well on decoding, non-words and code knowledge and got an age appropriate score on Burt. But he's very slow and really takes his time trying to decode. His mum says he has been assessed as having 'slow processing' - is this SENCO/ed psych code for poor fluency and lack of practise?

If he comes to me I'll try out phoneme manipulation tasks and multi-syllable word building and reading etc but I'm just wondering if anyone else has come across this 'slow processing' label? His siblings were assessed as the same but he's the only one who's got the dyslexia label too. He's also extremely shy and hesitant, but coped very well with the tests :smile:

Thanks. Lucy

maizie
Administrator

Re: Slow processing?

Post by maizie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:14 am

I'd say that it could be either your first suggestion; lack of practice, or, indeed, slow processing (which, incidentally, seems to be the criteria for 'dyslexia' in languages with a transparent orthography) And, on reflection, it might be a visual problem, he might be slow because he can't see the letters properly..

If you do tutor him I'd suggest you start with your normal way of working. After a while you should be able to determine whether it is just lack of practice or something more significant. If you think it's not just lack of practice it's worth exploring the visual route; has he had his eyes thoroughly tested? If his vision is OK I would consider using a precision teaching technique to encourage more rapid association of sound with symbol.

This is where you would have a number of graphemes randomly distributed in a table and you chart how many he can say correctly in 60 seconds. Keeping a record chart shows improvement and is motivating for the child. The objective is rapid automatic recognition of the grapheme and the sound (or sounds) it represents. The PT takes very little time and can, obviously, be used alongside your normal lesson. You would probably have to make your own sheets as you would need to tailor them to the child.

If you do go for PT I would google it and read around it a little. Beware, though, of LA sites where PT is recommended for teaching HFWs as 'wholes'. Hopefully it doesn't happen any more, but you never know!

LGP

Re: Slow processing?

Post by LGP » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:20 pm

Thank you Maizie - that's really helpful. RRF to the rescue - again!