Handwriting books

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

LGP

Handwriting books

Post by LGP » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi

Can anyone recommend:

1. a good cursive writing instruction book, preferably with practise pages?
2. a handwriting exercise book (with the right lines for tall and dipping letters, and preferably a shaded middle area)?

As you can tell, I have a lot to learn on the terminology!

Thanks

Meraud

Re: Handwriting books

Post by Meraud » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:10 pm

Hello,

I'm sure others on here will have more specific guidance, but it's worth looking at the National handwriting Association's website http://www.nha-handwriting.org.uk/ if you haven't already, and contacting them about specific queries. They're always pleased to hear from people who care about good handwriting!

All best,

Meraud

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi Ladies,

Personally I never find the 'tram lines' that helpful - on the contrary they can be confusing - especially when learners then transfer to ordinary lined exercise books.

You may or may not know already, but I provide lots of free Alphabet and Handwriting resources and guidance for print and fully joined handwriting (which you might find helpful) via a purpose-designed website here:

http://debbiehepplewhitehandwriting.com ... urces.html

Meraud

Post by Meraud » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:01 pm

I can especially recommend Debbie's leading/joining strokes, and the clarity of her materials :) Both my children (one left-handed, one right-handed) have benefited from these!

LGP

Post by LGP » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:00 pm

Brilliant. Thank you all. Interesting about the tramlines Debbie.

After speaking to a secondary school SENCO it sounds really hard to improve handwriting
a) past a certain age and b) with children who have fine motor/co-ordination problems.

But I'll keep an open mind - children are endlessly surprising aren't they? And I hear that daily practise is key.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:59 am

LGP wrote:After speaking to a secondary school SENCO it sounds really hard to improve handwriting
I have to say that I was told this at a training session many years ago; that it is hard to improve handwriting after about the age of 12 unless the child really wants to do it. I suspect this is because it involves a large amount of practice to overcome years and years worth of muscle memory and many children are reluctant to do this.

If you are working at it with younger children it is probably a bit easier for them.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:42 am

It can still be done with my proposed method.

Approach it as if it is a drawing exercise and, yes, the right attitude makes a big difference - but the technique is still very important.

The video footage on my handwriting site shows the magic formula! ;-)

pjay

Post by pjay » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:17 pm

We have had amazing success with the Apples and Pears programme from the Promethean Trust.