Fresh Start from Read Write Inc.: some details requested

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

cartwheel

Fresh Start from Read Write Inc.: some details requested

Post by cartwheel » Thu May 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Would someone here please describe what the RWI Fresh Start manual is like? I can find no samples online of what is to be found within its covers. How does it differ from the regular RWI Phonics Handbook and/or the Speed Sounds Lesson Plans? Also, what other RWI resources are needed to go along with it? What age group is this geared toward (not what school years, as the U.K. system nomenclature is unlike the U.S. one)? Thank you.

Jennie (U.S.)

maizie
Administrator

Re: Fresh Start from Read Write Inc.: some details requested

Post by maizie » Thu May 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Well, I have a copy of the Freshstart Handbook, but I have no idea if it is the same as the RWI Handbook because I have never seen the latter! I suspect that they are probably very similar except that there will be some bits specific to Freshstart, such as the placement tests.

Freshstart was written as a booster programme for Uk Y5 - Y8. That is 9 - 13 y olds. I use it with 11/12/13y olds.

On the whole I like it a great deal as it has integral resources, including decodable text. It starts with revision of simple code and works through to complex code and some word endings (such as ..ure, ...able...tion). For most children who just need a push in the right direction (which is a great many of them) it works very well on its own. For the more challenging children I sometimes add in supplementary resources for extra practice in spelling and reading the focus graphemes. I have BRI, Phonics International, Sound Discovery and text to speech software. I also sometimes use PT for learning PGCs to automaticity.