Practising Reading

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

Elizabeth

Practising Reading

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:56 pm

If we accept that in the first few years of school, teachers provide a daily phonics lesson as well as times to practise reading and writing skills, what is the best way to organise those times for practising reading? I am interested to know how class teachers do it.

Do children read books that are decodable for them to an adult individually – daily? weekly? to a teacher? a teaching assistant? a parent? a “reading buddy”?
Do children read in pairs, taking turns to “be the teacher”?
Do teachers organise guided reading lessons for groups of children of similar ability?
Are children asked to read decodable texts on their own and demonstrate understanding by drawing pictures or answering questions, verbally or in writing?
Any other ways?
Elizabeth

chew8

Re: Practising Reading

Post by chew8 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:43 pm

I've delayed responding to this as I was waiting to find out what I could about a particular infant school.

This school uses Letters and Sounds and has some decodable readers which are reasonably well aligned with it, but uses these only for guided reading. The children's reading is also heard by teachers, teaching assistants, volunteer helpers and parents, but the books used for this seem to contain very few words that are decodable on the basis of the phonics taught to date. There are nevertheless some Reception children who even at this early stage (2nd term of school) are 'free readers' - I've verified this for myself. The weaker children, though, are struggling in a way that I don't think they'd be if all their book-reading was done from books which allowed them to approach almost every word by sounding out and blending - they get this in guided reading, but not in their other reading, and I think the mixed messages are contributing to their slow progress.

Jenny C.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Thank you, Jenny. I am sure something similar is going on in many schools.
Elizabeth

chew8

Post by chew8 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:58 am

The following Teachers TV video, which I've mentioned on other threads, may be relevant:

http://www.teachers.tv/videos/riains-reading-journey

I think that the Reception children at the infant shool where I help voluntarily get discrete phonics teaching which is probably quite similar to what we see Riain getting, but their home reading is from books like the ones that we see Riain 'reading' 12 mins. 30 secs. and 16 mins. 20 secs. into the video. 'My' children are probably slightly better off, though, in that decodable books are now used in 'guided reading' (this is a very recent development) and I use only decodable books in my own one-to-one sessions, except with the few children who have already taken off.

Jenny C.