A mystery

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

Maltesers

A mystery

Post by Maltesers » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:53 pm

We have a new girl start in our year 2 class. She has English as a second language. I took her to assess her reading as her mum said she had started reading. I was amazed to see this child spell out words with the letter names and then say the word. She doesn't know any of the letter sounds. How is she doing it? Would be interested to hear your views.
www.freeforum101.com/hltastaffroom

www.hltastaffroom.blogspot.com

JAC

Re: A mystery

Post by JAC » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:27 am

Brute memory! I've taught a few children whose parents learned to read this way,from Thailand, Indonesia and Singapore.
One told me how, after her first day at school when she did not know anything, her mother kept her up until she had learned the alphabet (letter names). A Thai boy I worked with had his alphabet names and letters all recognised within a week of arrival. That's quite something, when I look at the leisurely way some children learn letter/sound correspondences. I know it's not all that useful for synthetic phonics instruction but it does show the determination to memorise what is believed to be required.

Isn't it great we can make it a whole lot easier!

Maltesers

Post by Maltesers » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:28 am

How do you explain the reading of 'alien words' or 'non words' using this system? :shock:
I did a phase 2 letters and sounds assessment on her and she managed to read quite a few of the alien words by chanting the letter names. I wonder if she does know the code but doesn't realise it?

Anyway I agree we can make it easier. I have told her 'no letter names' and have started teaching her the sounds. She is brilliant at oral blending so I reckon she will be flying soon. Just need to knock this out of her. It does show how she has been taught because she has the most beautiful joined up handwriting yet she cannot generate any writing of her own. She copies off anyone who is close to her. Obviously terrified of writing a word incorrectly. I expect she has done lots and lots of handwriting practise in her old school. I tried to get her to write a sentence 'The duckling has lost his mum' and she said to me I didn't learn this in my school. I encouraged her with sounds and stretching the word and she managed it with a few spelling errors. Gave her stickers and lots and lots of praise. Oh it is going to be so wonderful for her when she realises we don't get cross if she spells a word wrong.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Thank goodness she has found you!

I believe that much of the teaching of English reading and writing overseas is based on rote memorisation of letter names.

You only have to surf through the phonics youtube videos to see how dire so much of the guidance and programmes are! :???:

Maltesers

Post by Maltesers » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:50 am

Yes it's awful how she has been taught. She is making good progress and even tried to write something the other day by herself. I tried to explain to dad how we did things but his English wasn't too good and I am not sure he understood me. We can but try :grin: