RAP reading comprehension Strategic Intervention Model

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

alex o'mahony

RAP reading comprehension Strategic Intervention Model

Post by alex o'mahony » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi, I am a teacher in Ireland and have been promoting the teaching of Jolly Phonics and Jolly Grammar for many years now.

I teach in an all boys school in one of the most deprived areas of Ireland and our school stadardised test results have improved greatly over the years. However, reading comprehension problems have now become more obvious in our 8 - 11 year olds. Some of our children can decode texts, but they are not really able to comprehend what they have read.

I was wondering if anybody had any experience of using the RAP reading comprehension Strategic Intervention Model. I have done some background reading and it seems to be a straght forward model to use in helping children to improve their comprehension skills.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_7 ... n55487458/

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewc ... t=cehsdiss

JIM CURRAN

Re: RAP reading comprehension Strategic Intervention Model

Post by JIM CURRAN » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:01 pm

Alex, I haven’t had the time to read the research on RAP but will try to do so over the weekend. You might be interested in the spring 2003 issue of American Educator which deals with the issue of comprehension. There are some excellent articles. I particularly recommend that you read “Poor children’s fourth Grade slump”.

http://www.aft.org/newspubs/periodicals ... /index.cfm

Also this year the U.S. Department of Education has produced a document “Improving Reading Comprehension in Kindergarten Through 3rd Grade”.
Take a look at Recommendation 1 .

http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/pdf/practice ... 092810.pdf

alex o'mahony

Post by alex o'mahony » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:49 am

JIM CURRAN wrote:Alex, I haven’t had the time to read the research on RAP but will try to do so over the weekend. You might be interested in the spring 2003 issue of American Educator which deals with the issue of comprehension. There are some excellent articles. I particularly recommend that you read “Poor children’s fourth Grade slump”.

http://www.aft.org/newspubs/periodicals ... /index.cfm

Also this year the U.S. Department of Education has produced a document “Improving Reading Comprehension in Kindergarten Through 3rd Grade”.
Take a look at Recommendation 1 .

http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/pdf/practice ... 092810.pdf
Thanks for the reply. The article on the 4th grade slump rings very true in my experience.

The artilce by the US Dept of Education seems to back short periods of teaching individual stratagies, which links in with this article I found

http://www.aft.org/pdfs/americaneducato ... CogSci.pdf

kenm

Post by kenm » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:36 am

Why must the teaching of reading comprehension differ from that of the comprehension of spoken language?
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Kenm, I think that written text lends itself to comprehension strategies in a way that spoken language doesn’t. With a written text you can continually refer back to it. I know that when I read a difficult piece of research I will read it a number of times to make sure that I understand. I will summarize it in my own words and then perhaps discuss it with someone else. As I read through it I will continually do a mental check to make sure that I really do understand what I am reading. I usually need to go back over certain sections or perhaps sentences that I didn’t understand and try to clarify my understanding of them.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:21 pm

JIM CURRAN wrote:Kenm, I think that written text lends itself to comprehension strategies in a way that spoken language doesn’t. With a written text you can continually refer back to it. I know that when I read a difficult piece of research I will read it a number of times to make sure that I understand. I will summarize it in my own words and then perhaps discuss it with someone else. As I read through it I will continually do a mental check to make sure that I really do understand what I am reading. I usually need to go back over certain sections or perhaps sentences that I didn’t understand and try to clarify my understanding of them.
Would you expect a child to have to do this when reading, for example, Jelly and Bean?

Because the impression I get from EY teachers on the TES forum is that they think many children are incapable of 'comprehending' text at that sort of level...

Maltesers

Post by Maltesers » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:17 pm

I have found that children of a very young age do understand simple text Maizie. I have found the APP reading really useful in focussing questions during reading sessions. For example a little boy was reading a very early J & B book about a pig. I asked him where he thought the 'setting' of the story was. He replied 'a pig farm'. Why do you think that? 'because there are no houses and just fields'. Very simple inference there but he got that from the pictures. I think we need to be questioning children constantly whilst reading to make them inquisite and to 'think' about what they are reading. Although there is no way we should allow guessing of words I think the pictures are useful for making sense of what they are reading.
www.freeforum101.com/hltastaffroom

www.hltastaffroom.blogspot.com

kenm

Post by kenm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:21 pm

JIM CURRAN wrote:Kenm, I think that written text lends itself to comprehension strategies in a way that spoken language doesn’t. With a written text you can continually refer back to it. I know that when I read a difficult piece of research I will read it a number of times to make sure that I understand.[...]
Fair enough. When, in the school setting, do you expect that to become necessary? I don't recall needing to do it before secondary, and I would have thought that if the need arose before a child was secure on the main correspondences and automatic blending, that would suggest that inappropriate text was being used.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

Goodenough

Post by Goodenough » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:00 pm

In my school we are also finding that some children's scores on standardised reading tests decrease in the Upper Primary classes. Good decoding skills are sufficient for them to do well in the early years but for some their comprehension does not reach age norms although they can read fluently. Reading comprehension is taught and practiced but I wonder if more specific teaching or teaching of a different kind would help.
Eileen

alex o'mahony

Post by alex o'mahony » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:07 pm

I have done some research into this, but I a trying to locate a copy of "Teaching a Paraphrasing Strategy! Melbourne (2006). By J Munro.

However, I have had no success. I have even tried to contact Dr Munro directly, but had no reply. Can anybody help?