Key Stage 1 Intervention

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

FIZ

Key Stage 1 Intervention

Post by FIZ » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Hello there, I am back as well. At last I have made it to the lofty heights of Literacy Coordinator. One of the first things that I want to look at is Intervention. We dont have a great deal of money so want to support these children as best as possible. Any suggestions?

maizie
Administrator

Re: Key Stage 1 Intervention

Post by maizie » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:24 pm

Welcome back, FIZ.

Have you read this thread on the 'General' forum?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4568

It would seem like a good starting point for establishing an intervention policy.

FIZ

Post by FIZ » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:52 am

Thanks for that Maizie. The whole site has changed since I last visited and I didnt realise that there was a general area. Off to look now.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:16 am

Did you find it, FIZ. It was a link to another forum on this message board, not on the main website. If you click on the green link you'll get there..

(on the other hand, I don't think that the current message board colour scheme makes links within messages look obvious. I wonder if we can do anything about that...)

FIZ

Post by FIZ » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks Maizie the link was useful. However, I still think that there is a place for intervention for a small group of children. These children in our Infant school are actually not far off from being statemented. However, in this day and age, this is just not going to happen. Also, I have heard that there will be no SSSEN support for these children due to cuts. This little group are not going to achieve without intervention and I need to try to bring in the right thing to support their learning. I have heard about something called Dancing bears and someone else has suggested Sound Discovery. Does anyone have any experience of these?

Maizie, would I be better off posting this in the 'General' part of the Forum?

JAC

Post by JAC » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:41 am

Fiz - with our lowest-progress children we are using BRI from wwwpiperbooks.co.uk. Time is allocated in the morning for parents to listen to children at school, but a teacher needs to monitor this.
You don't say how much time or staff you have allocated to the children. Dancing Bears is also effective, and by now maybe you have accessed their website and read about it. They have a training CD which gives clear directions if you are going to be using volunteers to deliver instruction.
Both DB and BRI require 10-15 minutes daily one-to one practice for reading. Extra time needed for spelling.
BRI have a website for discussion and support regarding individual cases. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Beginning ... struction/.

BRI - it is very cost effective and you would need BRI 1,2 and 3, probably the Boosters as well.
DB - you can reduce costs by using acetate overlays on the consumable study book.

There are other programmes which others may post about.

FIZ

Post by FIZ » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:50 am

Thank you JAC for your help. I have been on the Dancing bears website but was looking for people who had actually used it to see how well it worked.I will now look at BRI which is a programme I know nothing about. It is looking like intervention will be carried out by one or two TA's who are both very good at this sort of thing. However, they are going to need some sort of structure to follow. Will keep looking and waiting for more responses!

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Are you looking at intervention all through KS1 & 2? I suggested looking at the thread because it was explicitly talking about very early intervention, which I feel should be the way that schools should be dealing with the slower to learn and should be at the heart of an intervention policy.

Of course, you, no doubt, have strugglers of all ages to work with, so I do understand what you are looking for.

For Y5 & 6 you can't do much better than Ruth Miskin's Freshstart which is a very complete programme and easy for well trained TAs to deliver.

For younger children I suspect that Debbie's Phonics International could well be 'delivered' to a group by a good TA.

It occurs to me that Maltesers, who posts on here from time to time, works with (or did work with) KS1 strugglers and I think she has produced a whole series of lesson plans, based on Letters & Sounds, for small group work, which she made available in the past to TAs on her HLTA Forum. I'll pm her and see if she can help.

FIZ

Post by FIZ » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:05 pm

Thank you. It is specifically Key Stage 1 so that could be very useful.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:11 pm

FIZ wrote:Thank you. It is specifically Key Stage 1 so that could be very useful.
I am blushing at my shocking memory and reading skills! Of course it is KS1. It says so in the thread title!

Maltesers

Post by Maltesers » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:14 am

Hi there, sorry I haven't been around for a while. I have just seen this post.
I did work with SEN in KS1 and was told to work at phase 2 of Letters and Sounds. It became clear due to the different needs of the children I needed to work in a very multisensory way and a fun way with lots of games. I had 2 EAL children (with no English), a statemented child with huge language problems, a child with speech difficulties and 2 other children who were finding learning very difficult.
I planned my sessions to try and address their needs. You can certainly have a look at the planning I did which is available on my blog. The planning contains hyperlinks to resources on my blog or elsewhere in internet land. I apologise in advance if any of the links do not work. It has been a while since I checked it.

http://www.hltastaffroom.blogspot.com/

Week one
http://hltastaffroom.blogspot.com/2008/ ... ase-2.html

Week two
http://hltastaffroom.blogspot.com/2008/ ... 2-for.html

Week three
http://hltastaffroom.blogspot.com/2008/ ... 3-for.html

Week four
http://hltastaffroom.blogspot.com/2008/ ... nning.html

Week five
http://hltastaffroom.blogspot.com/2008/ ... o-sen.html

Week six
http://hltastaffroom.blogspot.com/2008/ ... 6-for.html

Any good TA could alter or add to these plans to suit the children she/he is working with. This was two years ago and you will be happy to hear that they are all reading and writing really well now due to the continued efforts of my KS2 colleague who carried on the work I started and who takes an intervention group of SEN children in KS2 to work on phonics. She uses phase 3 Letters and Sounds as a base and works at a slower pace but with lots of emphasis on USING the sounds they know in reading and writing words and sentences. We use the Jelly and Bean books which I think are just brilliant for EAL or SEN children.
www.freeforum101.com/hltastaffroom

www.hltastaffroom.blogspot.com