Remember me!

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

lks

Remember me!

Post by lks » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi all on the forum, haven't posted on here for many years which is probably a good thing as it means my child does not have the problems anymore that I needed help with! At one time she was about 4 years behind her chronological age in spelling and reading, I just didn't know what to do in the end and school were not only unhelpful but resistant. I was pointed in the direction of the sound reading system (?) and found a private tutor. (I had to in the end as the problems had gone far beyond what I was capable of sorting out!). It was very hard work and involved taking my daughter back to basics and undoing a lot of bad habits. We all worked very hard and in the end my daughter 'cracked it' and never looked back. (She has just finished her 38th book since September) It is the best thing we ever did. She is in yr 8 of secondary school now, just turned 13. She has recently had a reading and spelling assessment and got 13.11 for her reading and 16.4 for her spelling. (Reading is always going to be a little lower as it is a comprehension thing with her). We are so delighted and I wanted to post because I see there are still parents who post on the forum with the samr problems we had. Don't give up and don't always rely on school to do what they should

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Re: Remember me!

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:35 pm

lks - we certainly do remember you and it is really, really wonderful to hear your fantastic, positive news. Well done to all concerned.

It is also extremely thoughtful of you to return to give us that message and to encourage parents of other children with similar difficulties to start out on a rigorous synthetic phonics programme.

I am constantly trying to persuade people to contribute to our message forums as I do think this helps enormously with spreading the word that we CAN teach reading and writing well through this SP route. It helps to keep our forums alive and shows that things are 'happening' in the wider domain as a consequence of such networks - sharing information and good practice.

Thank you so much and all the very best to you and your daughter. Her results for reading and spelling are very impressive.

Debbie
X

JAC

Post by JAC » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:23 am

Thank you lks, it is lovely to hear the outcome.
It makes me feel goosepimply, when I think what might have been the outcome if you had not persisted,

lks

Post by lks » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:58 am

Hi Debbie and Jac,
It makes me feel quite sick sometimes when I think what might have happened. Unfortunately the primary school are still doing much the same, however I have managed to spread the word and some parents are taking things into their own hands. Some of them doing it themselves others having to find professional help. Secondary is different and most parents and their children have given up and they find if they can't read they can't access most of the subjects taught, they then find themselves in 'bottom' sets although they often do not deserve to be there.
Good luck to you all on the forum and to any parents reading this don't give up. One day you will find yourself, like me, saying to your child, are you still reading. Best feeling in the world!

g.carter

Post by g.carter » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:38 pm

That is great news! Thanks so much for posting - it's so easy to forget once the nightmare is over and it's understandable that people don't want to relive the horrors.

I'll pass the information to Fiona, who is a near neighbour and friend. Was it Anna W. who was your daughter's tutor?

This has made my day!
Geraldine

Anna

Post by Anna » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:10 am

Hi Geraldine,

Just to respond to your enquiry. It wasn't me who tutored Ilk's daughter. I am very pleased to read how well she has done. It is a great programme and I achieve similar results. I am also using Fresh Start with a few older pupils and find that excellent too, for those who need a slightly slower approach, with lots of decodable text. The FS writing activities are proving very successful too, with a Year 5 boy who struggled a lot with organising his ideas. They have increased his confidence greatly. :grin:

lks

Post by lks » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:37 am

Hi all
Have pm'd Geraldine with name of tutor. I was trying to get hold of her to see if she would mind having her name on the forum but haven't been able to so thought I'd post it to Geraldine.
Please if there are any parents reading this don't give up and don't necessarily wait for the school to do something!