Read Write Inc. Fresh Start

This forum has been created to provide a non-challenging environment for teachers and parents new to using synthetic phonics.

anicka

Read Write Inc. Fresh Start

Post by anicka » Thu May 13, 2010 7:04 am

I have been asked to tutor a group of 9-10 year olds with very poor literacy skills. They have had the usual mixed methods foundation topped up with a dash of reading recovery. My experience is mostly with 5 year olds learning to read with synthetic phonics. I know that it's much trickier working with older children so I'd like to try Read Write Inc. Fresh Start which will tell me exactly what do. This has been recommended to me in the past but the costs were prohibitive. I can now buy the handbook from The Book Depository and pay no postage!
The problem is that I'd like to order everything I need straight away but I can't find out what I need from the Read Write Inc website. Perhaps I'm not looking properly.... This is the info I have about the program: "Read Write Inc. Fresh Start gives older pupils who have not yet cracked the 'code of reading' the chance to catch up and become confident, fluent readers - enabling them to access the secondary curriculum. The Fresh Start Handbook introduces teachers to all the Read Write Inc. resources and contains detailed instructions on how to implement Read Write Inc. Fresh Start as your literacy programme."
I'd like to get stuck into things straight away so can anyone help me with ideas of what else I should buy or do you suggest I get the handbook and study it first?
Thanks

Anna

Sue Blackburn

Re: Read Write Inc. Fresh Start

Post by Sue Blackburn » Thu May 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Anna,
I would suggest that you initially order the Fresh Start Handbook along with the Speed Sounds Cards (there are two sets of cards - Speed Sounds Set 1 and Speed Sounds Sets 2 & 3). Unless you are working with a large group/class then the small size should be OK rather than the A4 size.

This would be good to start with - obviously there is a wider range of resources that will depend on your budget. I have all the resources here (other than the Fresh Start Modules and Anthologies) as they are the same ones used in Read Write Inc. Phonics, so if you want any other specific info about them, I may be able to help (I won't try to sell them to you because unfortunately I can't match The Book Depository offer of free worldwide postage!)

If you do want info, best to drop me a note through my website. I think that Maizie uses Fresh Start, so hopefully she may be able to help you before you place your order.

Sue.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Thu May 13, 2010 10:37 pm

I actually wouldn't bother with the speed sounds cards, they are basically just sets of grapheme flashcards with a picture clue and some words which use that grapheme printed on the reverse. they are used for teaching automatic reacall of the grapheme/phone correspondence , with the words used for reading and spelling. If your group need this sort of work you could use 'home-made' flashcards and create your own word lists (the Sounds~Write Lexicon [you will find a link to their website on the Superlinks forum] is absolutely brilliant for creating word lists).

The absolutely vital elements of the Fresh Start programme are the Handbook and the modules (workbooks).

I have to point out that the programme is best taught with all the children in the group being at around the same level. It is not a case of starting at module 1 and working through to the end; the children start the programme at a point which starts to challenge their reading ability. The Handbook has placement tests in it for slotting children into the programme at the right level. This means that the children are all working at the same pace, with no children obviously much better or much poorer than others in the group. It also means that you keep them all together on the same tasks, with no-one racing ahead or lagging far behind. This is really essential in order to keep the children interested and working for the whole of each session.

The modules are sold by OUP (Oxford University Press).

JAC

Post by JAC » Thu May 13, 2010 11:53 pm

The OUP web pages for Read Write Inc are really poor. I've looked at it off and on over the years but they give very little specific information about what you actually get. I've got some stuff I bought before RWI became an OUP product, but the names of the product changed. Is Fresh Start the same as Read Write Inc 2 and is a set of A4 booklets? Have they developed the product in any way or basically, did they just rename it?

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Fri May 14, 2010 8:55 am

Have they developed the product in any way or basically, did they just rename it?
They renamed it, made it A4 size (it was foolscap when Ruth published it), changed the cover design and made the whole lot a yucky green, made some minor corrections (but still left in loads of grammar, punctuation and printing errors) and put the price up dramatically year on year (and expect you to spend more than my entire budget in order to get a measly 10% discount). I use it because it is the Best, but OUP do not impress me....

Sue Blackburn

Post by Sue Blackburn » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Maizie (or anyone else who has experience of using Fresh Start), are the Modules and/or Anthologies suitable for working with an individual child - the OUP website seems to suggest partner work is involved and I can't find a contact there for someone who would actually know that sort of thing. Thanks.

Anna

Post by Anna » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi Sue,

Fresh Start is very suitable for use working one to one with a pupil. I work as a private tutor and have adapted it to fit in with the structure of my lessons and it has been highly successful so far. Ideally, FS is meant to be used for an hour 5 times a week. However, I only see my pupils for an hour a week. So I focus in our lessons on starting with the speed sounds, then reading the green, red and challenge words. Then my pupil reads the story.

I prioritise which of the other activities I feel that child needs. Currently, I am using it for a pupil who has had a lot of trouble with organising his ideas both in oral language (he had word-fidning problems, which I find are often part and parcel of this) and is his writing. He has developed his own planning framework on the whiteboard, which he used to srtucure his sentences and this has given him great confidence.

Every week we do the proof-reading, which he really enjoys (likes the challenge), the spelling (likewise) and we pick either the oral or written questions on the text, or the writing task, or build a sentence. Whatever we have time for. His confidence and enthusiasm has really increased and we are only halfway through the programme. Needless to say his reading is much improved too.

For homework I ask them to re-read the story to an adult, read the speed words and if possible practise the spelling words. I also give them the anthologies, which have proved popular so far. One pupil used to be reading his as he walked out of the door!

My core programme is the Sound Reading System, which produces excellent results in many children. I just find that some need more overlearning of p/g correspondences and words and for these I was not seeing the same increase in reading level. So for the younger children I use the BRI books and Fresh Start has now filled the gap for older ones. :cool:

Sue Blackburn

Post by Sue Blackburn » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:28 pm

Anna,
Thanks very much for your detailed reply - it is very helpful.

Sue.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:32 pm

Anna is right. Freshstart is fine for working with one pupil. We use it both ways; small groups and one to one.

The partner work ensures that there is no 'down time' when working with a group as the children are occupied with something all the time.

The Anthologies are extension reading practice and build on the correspondences learned in the modules covered by each Anthology. I don't like them, personally, but I'm not a 10 - 14 year old child. I find it very hard to look at the Anthologies through their eyes!

Sue Blackburn

Post by Sue Blackburn » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks for your reply too Maizie. As I haven't used these with children myself, it is really helpful to get feedback on them.