Must monsters always be male?

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

James Curran

Must monsters always be male?

Post by James Curran » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Must monsters always be male? Huge gender bias revealed in children’s books

A thieving duck in Peppa Pig is one of the few female villains in the 100 most popular picture books. An Observer study shows that, from hares to bears, females are mostly sidekicks ... ok-is-male

Re: Must monsters always be male?

Post by Jimbo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi James,

My short answer is: only where competition in education is illegal would one have to fret about monsters.

The question of how good or bad a school's curriculum is only has real meaning when you can answer the question: Compared to what?

The decision-making, when decentralized, would make this problem far easier to spot and conquer.... not least because it's harder to socialize the cost of bad decisions at a decentralized level. And I mean decentralized in the sense of political power.

On a separate yet-related question i.e. the gender wage-gap, 'the interview' springs to mind...

A very interesting exchange. I assume many if not most RRFers have seen/heard of this interview already, since it's a mainstream UK channel. I get the feeling Channel4 did not really see Peterson coming at all. Otherwise they would never have let it air.

I don't agree with him on everything but he did a great job, here. 4.1 million views and counting, on youtube, too. Ouch!

What I find disturbing is that it appears necessary for one to be a 'Clinical Psychologist' who makes it onto mainstream news - apparently by accident - before these observations can be noticed and taken seriously by more people. At least now many more will be familiar with them.

I use the term 'observations' loosely, though. Most of what he had to say was him correcting or debunking the interviewer's projections.