Sad news: Lord Jim Prior has passed away 12th Dec 2016

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Sad news: Lord Jim Prior has passed away 12th Dec 2016

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:26 pm

We have very sad news about Lord Jim Prior who died on 12th December 2016.

This is a very sad passing for the Reading Reform Foundation.

Lord Jim Prior was Sue Lloyd's MP years ago and this enabled Sue to tell him all about the effectiveness of what became known as 'synthetic phonics' and how, at that time, the education world was not interested.

Lord Prior gave the Reading Reform Foundation considerable support in many ways - he listened.

He met with members of the RRF committee to find out how he could best help.

Lord Prior asked a question in the House of Lords about the 'research' for the National Literacy Strategy 'Early Literacy Suspport' programme (there was none) for which I'll provide more details when I have access to the RRF newsletter archives.

He arranged a meeting, which he himself attended, with Baroness Ashton and some RRF committee members.

He helped to fund the RRF project in Carriacou and Petite Martinique.

At one point, I exchanged some letters with Lord Prior and he wrote so supportively and eloquently.

All Jim's efforts are very much appreciated by the Reading Reform Foundation - he was a special person, one of a few special people throughout the years (of various political persuasions) who really did listen and help us in practical and supportive ways.

Elizabeth

Re: Sad news: Lord Jim Prior has passed away 12th Dec 2016

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:06 pm

Yes, a very special man.
Elizabeth