CLPE list of things to encourage a love of literacy learning

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Elizabeth

CLPE list of things to encourage a love of literacy learning

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:40 pm

I have a leaflet from the Centre for Literacy in Primary Education (CLPE).

It gives a list of ten things to be considered and developed in schools in order to encourage "a lifelong love of literacy learning". Here they are:
1. Developing an ethos and an environment that excites, enthuses, inspires and values
2. High quality texts with depth and interest in story, character, illustration, vocabulary, structure and subject matter
3. A read aloud programme
4. Teachers who are knowledgeable about children’s literature
5. Creating a community of readers with opportunities to share responses and opinions
6. Planning for talking about books and stories, providing structures within which to do this
7. Understanding the importance of illustration in reading both in terms of creating a text and responding to a text
8. Using drama and role play to help children to understand and access texts
9. Working with authors and author/illustrators to understand the process of creating books
10. Using literature beyond the literacy lesson – cross-curricular planning with quality literature as the starting point
Nowhere does it say anything about teaching children to read words easily. Yet I believe the most common and pernicious block to achieving “a lifelong love of literacy learning” is struggling to read words. No-one who struggles to read words loves “literacy learning”.

I have no problem with the ten things in the list, but it is extraordinary to include nothing to do with teaching children to read words easily, especially as the leaflet includes this quote:
We exist to promote high standards in the teaching of literacy ...
Elizabeth

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Re: CLPE list of things to encourage a love of literacy learning

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:15 pm

I think RRFers will agree with you totally.

It's really quite extraordinary to neglect the teaching of reading so completely.

:sad:

kenm

Post by kenm » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:38 am

Did the leaflet actually describe this as a list of "things to be considered and developed"?
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:55 am

Yes. Here's the quote:
This is the first of these papers. It collects together ten things that teachers have told us need to be considered and developed in schools that are successful in encouraging a lifelong love of literacy learning.
It's not quite logical. I would have thought they mean these things need to be developed in schools that are not successful.
Elizabeth

kenm

Post by kenm » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:20 am

Elizabeth wrote:Yes. Here's the quote:
This is the first of these papers. It collects together ten things that teachers have told us need to be considered and developed in schools that are successful in encouraging a lifelong love of literacy learning.
It's not quite logical. I would have thought they mean these things need to be developed in schools that are not successful.
I think it's worse than not quite; as it stands, some of what it suggests is nonsense. Among the "things to be considered and developed" are: "Developing", "High quality texts", "Teachers", "Creating", "Planning", "Understanding", "Using" and "Working". I can't think of any verb that can be applied to all of these "things".

Specifically: "an ethos and an environment" for the whole school would need to be considered and developed; "High quality texts" should be identified and procured; "A read aloud programme" needs to be designed and agreed or might be included in a procured literacy programme; "Teachers" should be recruited or sent for professional development training; "a community of readers" might be created locally; "talking about books and stories" might need a certain amount of planning if the literacy expert thought that other opportunities than the normal classroom were needed; the same with "drama and role play" and with "Working with authors and author/illustrators".

I can't comment on "Understanding the importance of illustration in reading both in terms of creating a text and responding to a text" because I don't know what the author intended by "illustration". As for "Using literature beyond the literacy lesson – cross-curricular planning with quality literature as the starting point", if I were a maths or science teacher asked to do this, I should start looking for another job.

My conclusion is that anyone who could release such a garbled text should not be allowed to influence the teaching of literacy.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6