Education Scotland: Briefing on Early Reading

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

moomintroll

Education Scotland: Briefing on Early Reading

Post by moomintroll » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:51 pm

Education Scotland have just published a new briefing on the teaching of early reading. This is a welcome development. Despite the fact that the Clackmannanshire research on phonics is internationally renowned - most schools in Scotland do not teach reading through Systematic Synthetic Phonics. :o

Below is a link to my blog, where I review this new briefing and its contents:

http://www.thelearningzoo.co.uk/2016/02 ... -briefing/
Well, it has been just over a year since I started writing angry letters to the Scottish Government and campaigning about the need for proper phonics teaching in the classroom and in teacher training in Scotland. So today gave me cause for a little, tiny celebration, when Education Scotland published some new guidance on the teaching of early reading. It is six pages long, so it’s hardly The Rose Review and it’s quite repetitive – but it is, nonetheless, an encouraging step in the right direction.

Here I pick out, what I feel, are the pertinent points. All quotes are taken from the document: A Knowledge Into Action resource for practitioners and education staff Briefing 2: Early Reading.
The actual Education Scotland document can be accessed here: http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/Ima ... 873016.pdf
Last edited by moomintroll on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chew8

Re: Education Scotland: Briefing on Early Reading

Post by chew8 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:49 pm

I tried clicking on the link for the Education Scotland document but it didn't work.

Any solutions?

Jenny C.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:27 pm

It looks to me, Jenny, as though part of the address has been missed off the posted hyperlink

Does this one work?

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/Ima ... 873016.pdf

moomintroll

Post by moomintroll » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks Maizie and Jenny for flagging this up - I have fixed the link now :D

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:03 pm

I agree moomintroll that it is an encouraging document and a step in the right direction but I'm not so sure whether or not I agree with , 'It is also important to note that children are “active agents who
are capable of influencing their own interactions with parents, peers and schools”
(Hartas, 2012) and especially in relation to disadvantaged children.

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:32 am

A study by the Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development in 2010 revealed that in Britain, a father's income has a bigger role in determining how much his son will earn than in any other developed country.The link between a father's income and his son's future is three times greater here than in Norway or Denmark. In Britain , half of the economic advantage that a high earning father has over a low earning father is passed on to their offspring. If you take Canada or a Nordic country the figure is just 20 per cent.

moomintroll

Post by moomintroll » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:28 am

Thanks so much Jim - I was unaware of that income link. I also have reservations about the Harta research - but it 'sounds good' and very much fits with the ideology in Scotland at the moment. Many people won't read this doc - or get that far, sadly.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:16 pm

There's also this OECD publication - it's dated 2016, so must be hot off the press:

http://www.oecd.org/unitedkingdom/build ... ngland.pdf

I've read it quickly and it says that parents also have a much stronger effect on their children's literacy and numeracy levels in England than in other countries. I'm afraid I can't give a quotation without re-reading, and I don't have time to do that at present.

A PIRLS international study is due to take place this year, the last one having been in 2011. It involves children aged 9-10. It will be interesting to see whether England's performance has improved as a result of government initiatives. The Y1 phonics check may have had just enough time to show effects among the relevant age-group.

Jenny C.

moomintroll

Post by moomintroll » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:20 pm

That's brilliant - thank you for that Jenny. Yes, the PISA results are also due at the end of this year... Scotland has been treading water when it comes to reading, since 2006. (and used to well above the international average before that in 2000). The results in December will show the impact, if any, of our "new" Curriculum for Excellence. :???:

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:23 pm

I agree Jenny that there have been improvements but it has been my experience, teaching for forty years in an area of social disadvantage that poor children who are bright rarely make it academically. Some do but they are the exception to the rule. The odds are that they will end up no better off than their parents. Not so bright children born into prosperous middle- class families are usually likely to do well given their parents 'cultural capital', financial support and social networks. It's not fair but that's just how it is.

kenm

Post by kenm » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:59 pm

JIM CURRAN wrote:A study by the Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development in 2010 revealed that in Britain, a father's income has a bigger role in determining how much his son will earn than in any other developed country.The link between a father's income and his son's future is three times greater here than in Norway or Denmark. In Britain , half of the economic advantage that a high earning father has over a low earning father is passed on to their offspring. If you take Canada or a Nordic country the figure is just 20 per cent.
That might be explained by nepotism,
Jenny C. wrote:There's also this OECD publication - it's dated 2016, so must be hot off the press:

http://www.oecd.org/unitedkingdom/build ... ngland.pdf

I've read it quickly and it says that parents also have a much stronger effect on their children's literacy and numeracy levels in England than in other countries.
but this is, on the face of it, evidence of inadequate schoolteaching. What fraction of primary teachers would interpret it as such?
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

chew8

Post by chew8 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Yes, it's evidence of inadequate teaching in schools - evidence, I think, that schools in other countries do better than we do at levelling the playing-field.

The PISA results will also be interesting, but I think PISA involves 15-year-olds, and that age-group won't reflect the impact of initiatives such as the Year 1 phonics check for a while yet. The first cohort to have done the check won't be 15 until 2021, and only 59% of that cohort met the standard at the first attempt. The cohort which has done best so far (2015, when 77% met the standard at a first attempt) won't be 15 until 2024.

Jenny C.

SLloyd

Post by SLloyd » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:11 am

Jim's earlier posting made me wonder about the following.

We know that many children from areas of social disadvantage perform well on reading and spelling tests when taught, from the beginning, with strong synthetic phonics. It would be interesting to know how many of these children manage to achieve higher wages than their parents.

Sue

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:01 pm

Sue, Synthetic Phonics has made an immeasurable difference to so many children and especially to disadvantaged children and it's due in no short measure to people like yourself who for many years ploughed a lone furrow.

geraldinecarter

Post by geraldinecarter » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:30 pm

I think that the evidence is already beginning to appear. Secondary schools such as Mossbourne have already shown that children in high poverty schools can make tremendous strides with good instruction, and ARK schools such as KSA, and new free schools such as Michaela are making huge strides for their pupils.