We are too quick to label children who aren't perfect

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:25 pm

You don’t want to be in 4J, you’ll get dyslexia.”

This has been the standing joke in our staffroom for years, owing to the teacher’s over-zealous approach to diagnosing any child not brilliant at reading as “dyslexic”. She’s a great teacher who is passionate about children and who gets good results (which could be why she needs to find a reason for anyone not making the grade under her watchful eye). However she is a labeller – one of the many idealistic adults who can’t bear to believe a child is less than perfect unless it’s because there’s something wrong with him or her that’s nobody’s fault.

The range of options available to the discerning child-labeller is growing: social issue, learning difficulty, behavioural need, obsessive tendency, food intolerance or – my all time favourite – being “on the spectrum”. As a teacher I find this immensely frustrating for a number of reasons. First, the diagnosis is often performed by someone with no skills, qualifications or expertise – a well-meaning colleague, an over-concerned parent, a kindly friend. The only requisite is that they have access to the internet or have seen a TV programme about the condition in question. Second, it is upsetting and insulting to people who battle with genuine problems that others casually assign themselves and – most of all – because we as teachers are increasingly forced to pander to them.
http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-netw ... d-dyslexia

frances5

Re: We are too quick to label children who aren't perfect

Post by frances5 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:53 am

I think that the inablity to read is a genuine problem whether a child has dyslexia, dysteachia or dysparenting. It is sad that having a label is seen a vehicle to getting some help. I expect the teacher of 4J felt a sense of guilt that she was not sucessful with the strugglers in her class. She wanted them to get outside help to achieve a certain level in the basics. The problem is the system, rather than the teacher of 4J.

In the UK autism/ ADHD diagnosis are not as made as easily as the Guardian makes out or at least not in my area. In my area an autism/ ADHD diagnosis is made by a team of medical professionals including a paediatrian, audiologist, speech and language therapist, pychologist over a period of months. It often takes years to get a diagnosis. My son went through an assessment for autism at the insistance of a pre school leader. As part of his assessment he had a hearing test which failed spectularly because of glue ear. Sometimes teachers over look very simple problems.