Information for parents/governors

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

LGP

Information for parents/governors

Post by LGP » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi. I'm hoping to persuade the "there's still a place of whole-word teaching" head of my son's school to get his staff trained in proper phonics - I know, I know, it's not going to work but..

I'd like to collate a small file of up-to-date, relevant: data, policy (with dates), research, quotes etc so that I'm armed and dangerous if I ever get past his door again. (for example, I remember I think Gordon Askew at the RRF conference saying that schools should aim for 100% in PSC and be getting 95% - is that policy? written down in DfE guidance etc?)

I'd also like to use the information to persuade the Chair of Governors that:
a) it is in her remit to oversee PSC results (and understand what they are and what they mean)
b) it is possible to hold HT to account for results of these tests, and how to improve them.

If anyone would like to post links to any relevant documents/quotes that would be great. I'll be happy to share with RRF/anyone what I collate and any document I produce.

Thank you
Lucy

kestrel

Re: Information for parents/governors

Post by kestrel » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:12 pm

This is from a post I've written elsewhere. The figures are taken from DoE reports of keystage 1 results for each relevant year.

"Reading comprehension scores, as measured at the end of Key Stage 1, have risen from their previous plateau, particularly among SEN children:

Number of children achieving the expected level of reading comprehension at the end of Year 2

2007-2009 – 84%
2010-2011 – 85%
2012 - 87%
2013 - 89%
2014 - 90%:

Note that this gradual rise began with the cohort who were in reception for the academic year 2007-08, that is, the first year that phonics teaching was introduced.

Number of children with SEN achieving the expected level of reading comprehension at the end of Year 2 (figures are not available for before 2011).

2011 - 52%
2012 - 55%
2013 - 58%
2014 - 60%:

It is unlikely that this improvement is due to some factor other than improved phonics tuition, because:

"Some 99% of pupils who had passed the phonics check in year one went on to meet or exceed the government’s benchmark levels for reading in year two, compared with only a third of pupils who had failed the check – suggesting a possible association between successful phonics teaching and later levels of literacy."
http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ics-method

This rise was entirely predictable, given the fact that the scientific consensus of reading psychologists is that phonics knowledge is one of the key factors for successful reading. The following review of research gives some insight into why.

http://www.pitt.edu/~perfetti/PDF/How%2 ... -%20Rayner%"

There is also this article

https://teachingbattleground.wordpress. ... scredited/

which contains a table showing percentage of children who passed the phonics check first time, second time etc against each level in the Key Stage 1 literacy results, and the report the table was taken from.

LGP

Post by LGP » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks Kestrel - I'll get to work on distilling that info.

kestrel

Post by kestrel » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:25 am

I forgot to say the increase also applies for level 3 (it's level 2 I'm talking about above).

The number of pupils who achieved the higher Level 3 in their reading has moved from a steady plateau of 25/26% in 2007-2011, to 31% this year - again in regular annual increments.

frances5

Post by frances5 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:48 am

I think that there is little you can do to persaude a stubborn head who believes that there is a place for mixed method. Its almost like attempting to change someone's religion.
The only thing you can do is make sure that your son has a good grounding in phonics at home.

It would be interesting to know if you can use the Freedom of Information Act to find out the percentage of children who passed the phonics check.

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of-in ... mation-act