Ofsted purges 1,200 'not good enough' inspectors

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:12 pm

Ofsted is ditching 1,200 school and college inspectors after assessing them as not good enough to judge schools.
The move by England's education inspectorate is part of its plan to improve quality and consistency, and bring inspections in-house.
Ofsted had been using about 3,000 additional inspectors, contracted through inspection service providers.
Teachers have long complained about inspection quality, but Ofsted insists it does not mean it is substandard.
Speaking to the Times Educational Supplement, Sir Robin Bosher, Ofsted's head of quality and training, said the organisation wanted to have high quality inspectors.
'Not up to the job'
He said: "I am committed to making sure that my colleagues in headship can be assured they have a good inspector walking up the path. I'm determined that will happen."
But National Association of Head Teachers general secretary Russell Hobby said: "You look back and say, for the last few years we've been inspected by a group where 40% weren't up to the job.
"If Sir Michael Wilshaw had done this from the start, we would have avoided everything that has followed.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33198707

Elizabeth

Re: Ofsted purges 1,200 'not good enough' inspectors

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:05 am

This may be very good news or it may not be. It depends which people go and which stay.

I wonder if it will have any effect on the people who refused to get rid of the films of poor phonics lessons, labelled "outstanding practice", on their website.

https://teachingbattleground.wordpress. ... that-isnt/

As I wrote this message, I looked the films up again and found this:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... ?year=2013

I hope that means they really have quietly been archived for good. Does anyone know more about this?
Elizabeth

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:34 pm

Ofsted announces major changes to inspections
Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector Sir Michael Wilshaw has confirmed the biggest changes to education inspections since the inception of Ofsted more than two decades ago.

From September, Ofsted will inspect good schools and further education and skills providers once every three years under a new short inspection model. Inspectors will start from a premise that the school or provider is still good and focus on ensuring that those standards are being maintained. They will check that leaders have identified key areas of concern and that they have the capacity to address them.

https://www.senmagazine.co.uk/news/senn ... nspections

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:11 pm

Elizabeth said:
I hope that means they really have quietly been archived for good. Does anyone know more about this?
It could have the opposite meaning to your wishful thinking, Elizabeth, in that they are now archived for posterity which is not a good thing necessarily if regarded as 'outstanding practice' instead of the 'extraneous' phonics practice and less-than-outstanding-practice that we know it to be.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:39 pm

But at least they won't appear to anyone who has not searched for them - will they?
Elizabeth

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:07 pm

JIM CURRAN wrote:Ofsted announces major changes to inspections
Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector Sir Michael Wilshaw has confirmed the biggest changes to education inspections since the inception of Ofsted more than two decades ago.

From September, Ofsted will inspect good schools and further education and skills providers once every three years under a new short inspection model. Inspectors will start from a premise that the school or provider is still good and focus on ensuring that those standards are being maintained. They will check that leaders have identified key areas of concern and that they have the capacity to address them.

https://www.senmagazine.co.uk/news/senn ... nspections
Bah. Our "good" school has just been judged good again --- much along these kind of lines I would have thought. Easier and easier to pull the wool across the eyes in these short inspections I would have thought, particularly in schools where with just one afternoon's notice schools are adept at picking the children that are going to be spoken to, pulling some slightly better than usual lessons out of the filing cabinet, telling all children only to be positive (and they obey), feeding them to say a few specific negative things which you already have a plan for, and even the parents that are going to entertain the inspector at the gate in the morning are selected.

They may as well just look at the results and not bother visiting ............ and they're never going to find out that the teachers / readers dropped hints during KS2 tests which might have helped a few of them a little bit but without wholesale cheating across the board, and no-one will tell them about all the private tutors either. Who would dare and why would they want to? Most parents want their school to do well as they know that if their school falls out of favour the funding falls through the floor and it's their children will suffer even more.

It's as bad as nursing home inspections. It's not in anyone's interests for any of these public (or private in the case of nursing homes but they get people out of public hospital beds) services to be rated as badly as some quite substantial pockets of them actually are.