Key Stage 1 assessment

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

chew8

Key Stage 1 assessment

Post by chew8 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:04 am

I've been assuming that Key Stage 1 assessment will be in May, but gather from DfE documents that teachers will be allowed to do it at any time this school year and that the same was true last year. Does anyone know whether this happened for the first time in 2013-14, or was the change introduced before that?

Jenny C.

chew8

Re: Key Stage 1 assessment

Post by chew8 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:59 pm

There have been 10 views of the post above, but no replies so far. This probably means that no one who has read it knows the answer. I can find out once school starts again, but that will be too late. I know it's not a good time of year for this, but if anyone has easy access to someone who might know, I'd be very grateful for the info. I haven't been able to find anything pre-2013-14 on line.

Jenny C.

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:01 am

Sorry I am too late! The change was introduced before that. KS1 testing moved to teacher assessment several years back. Part of this involves using some of the old KS1 tests - there's a document produced each year which tells teachers which old tests to use that year. But the result the child gets in the old tests is not necessarily the same as their final teacher assessed grade for KS1. It's a weird mishmash. This summer is the last year of the old NC tests for year 2.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks, volunteer. A contact of mine wanted to know this in order to say something about it in a submission made yesterday, but will be interested anyway, so I've passed on the info.

Jenny C.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:49 pm

I believe the use of the actual test papers in Year 2 is to 'inform' teacher assessment.

But if children have to take the paper anyway, it always seemed crazy to me that this result could not be taken into account.

Years ago when I had a spell at headship, I challenged the idea that the points score was based on the Year 2 Teacher Assessment OR the Test Paper result "WHICHEVER WAS HIGHEST".

I strongly queried the objectivity of this for national scores - pointing out that Teacher Assessments were more likely to be subjective and reflect bias - even if inadvertent.

No-one in authority commented on this.

But having only just challenged this state of affairs, all the headteachers at this particular event had the year on year results of their own schools to peruse and - lo and behold - the results showed a big contrast between Teacher Assessment and Test Paper scores.

This is worrying and complicated on many levels of course.

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:51 pm

Posts crossed. Yes, it's messy and particularly as the same tests are being used repeatedly. Teachers do seem to feel very confident in their own assessments these days - I never was; no matter how sophisticated the process it still feels a little like a "finger in the air" job and who knows what the same child would produce after the summer holiday?

(I judge my own children at home (!!) in maths by working on some Schofield and Sims mental arithmetic with them from time to time. Sadly, I find that if I do this daily with them in the holidays their maths seems to improve massively, but then it slides back again in term-time .... just like I used to find with learning to read. I still feel that maths teaching in some schools could do with the kind of overhaul that some schools have given to reading with phonics -- the notion of moving on at the same time as constantly consolidating everything you know so far seems to have been lost so much in some maths teaching it's depressing.)

There is some kind of external moderation of the KS1 teacher assessments. Not sure how this works. The final KS1 assessment then is fed into Raise Online and it affects the KS2 target for that child, the progress data, the value added score etc.

I don't know how they are going to measure progress across KS2 for children who sit new curriculum KS2 tests and old curriculum KS1 tests -- one of my children will be in that batch.

I don't really know anything about the new KS1 assessments but there is quite a bit of info on the DfE website already. It will be for children in year 2 in 2015-16.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:21 pm

Debbie Hepplewhite wrote:I strongly queried the objectivity of this for national scores - pointing out that Teacher Assessments were more likely to be subjective and reflect bias - even if inadvertent.
I can only say that in 10+ years of assessing Y7s on entry I found that their Teacher Assessed levels for 'English', when known, were usually more realistic (and lower) than their NCT (SAT) levels.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:21 pm

A Y2 teacher told me a while ago that the mark schemes for KS1 assessment were very strict and there was little scope for teacher subjectivity.

In the years when I've been able to check children's KS1 reading and writing levels against their scores in standardised tests done early in Y3, I haven't found too many discrepancies.

Jenny C.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:40 pm

But KS1 assessment is done by the KS1 teachers whereas KS2 NCTs are externally marked. As I said, KS2 Teacher Assessment has always seemed much more realistic.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:49 pm

I didn't intend to cast any doubt on what you had said about KS2 results, maizie. I was responding to what Debbie had said about KS1 assessment.

I'm now into my 15th year of helping voluntarily at a KS2 school (Years 3 to 6). Throughout that time, this school has used the same tests in October-November and March of each year to monitor the reading and spelling of all children. I've had access to the Y3 children's KS1 results in quite a few of those years (though not all) and haven't found too many discrepancies between those results and the children's reading and spelling ages on the tests used by the school. This suggests that even if Y2 teachers mark the KS1 assessments subjectively, the levels which they award give a largely accurate picture of attainment.

Jenny C.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:39 pm

chew8 wrote:I didn't intend to cast any doubt on what you had said about KS2 results, maizie.
sorry, Jenny, I wasn't meaning to cast doubt. I was really responding to what Debbie said about teacher assessments:
that Teacher Assessments were more likely to be subjective and reflect bias
I think my experience of them tends to reflect yours; they are usually quite realistic.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:05 pm

OK, so we were both responding to what Debbie had said, and as you say, we have both found teacher assessment to be quite realistic.

Jenny C.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:29 am

I am not suggesting that teacher-marking of the test papers at Key Stage One is subjective and therefore inaccurate.

I am suggesting that 'why not' use the test papers for a national snapshot.

It is not use of the test papers and their marking which is too subjective (answers are largely 'wrong' or 'right'), it is the interpretation of other work that children do.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:09 am

Is the system for KS1 assessment the same now as it was in your spell as a head, Debbie? - e.g. is the final level still based on whichever is the higher of the teacher assessment and the test mark? I started this thread in an attempt to find out when a particular change had taken place, and I'm still not sure of the date of this and any other possible changes.

One thing I've tried to say is that in my experience, KS1 results tally pretty well with standardised test scores. They also tally pretty well with my subjective impressions of Y3 children's reading. So I'm not sure how much cause for concern there is.

Jenny C.

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:47 am

There is a document produced for schools / teachers each year on how to do the KS1 assessments. It's got the words Assessment and Reporting Arrangements somewhere in the title and is known as the "ARA". I think it says something along the lines of the wording someone else higher up the thread used - that the old test papers are to be used "to inform" the teacher assessment.

I think it is like any other bit of DfE guidance - although there is some system of external moderation of a sample (I think by the local authority) - there will always be some kind of local "reinterpretation" put on how to do it by heads, local authority advisers etc. Also, as the test papers are not secret until the day of the test they could give different results from a paper which the teachers had no knowledge of which was designed to test a range of KS1 material.

Hopefully, though, on a macroscopic scale it's accurate enough for its intended purpose - whatever that is.