Pupils from poorest backgrounds achieve best-ever results

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

JIM CURRAN

Pupils from poorest backgrounds achieve best-ever results

Post by JIM CURRAN » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:32 am

Primary school pupils from poorest backgrounds achieve best-ever results
67% of pupils from disadvantaged homes hit government targets in maths, reading and writing, compared with 61% in 2012

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... st-results

yvonne meyer

Re: Pupils from poorest backgrounds achieve best-ever results

Post by yvonne meyer » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:50 am

This is very good news, especially considering that the target was raised from last year to this year.

To my knowledge, this would be the first time targets have been raised in the UK. Am I right? I know in Australia, the benchmark gets dropped on a regular basis. Also the US have a history of dropping standards. The only English speaking country I know of that raises standards is Singapore.

Does anyone know differently?

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:54 am

Sorry Yvonne, I don't have the information to answer your question but I'm sure there are others on the Board who do.Here are another two pieces on this topic.

Non-native English speaking pupils perform best in primary tests

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... sts-london

The children come in hungry to learn’: Birmingham school with winning recipe

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ol-success

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:09 pm

I've been checking the latest KS2 SATs results of a few schools that I know use pure synthetic phonics - no multi-cueing for decoding or 'sight' word memorising.
N.B. KS2 reading SAT checks on *comprehension*.

Gold Stars all round :grin:

Curwen PS in Newham. e London. uses RWI. 55% disadvantaged pupils. 67% ESL:
Reading. 98% L4 73% L5. Writing 97% L4. 57% L5. SPAG 97% L4 83% L5

Elmhurst PS e London. uses RWI. approx.1000 pupils. 52% disadvantaged pupils. 96% ESL
Reading 94% L4 59% L5. Writing 94% L4 47% L5. SPAG 90% L4 64% L5

St George's PS Battersea London. uses Sounds-Write. 71% disadvantaged pupils 50% ESL.
Reading 96% L4 54% L5. Writing 100% L4 63% L5. SPAG 96% L4 75% L5

Christ Church PS Chelsea London. uses SRS. 21% disadvantage 25% ESL.
Reading 96% L4 79% L5. Writing 93% L4 68% L5. SPAG 82% L4 82% L5.
See their fab.ppt on phonics 4 parents (viewable on PCs only)
http://www.chchchelsea.rbkc.sch.uk/811733424663.htm

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:43 pm

Thanks Susan, as they say" the proof of the pudding is in the eating". Very encouraging.

kenm

Post by kenm » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:26 pm

OFSTED should show these results to the head teacher of any primary school that can't match them.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:35 am

The maths results at those schools are very good too. There are some schools that have a burning desire to want to teach all the basics well to all -comers and there are others that have reasons why they do not wish to.

I would like to understand though how many ESL children are included in the various results as there are aspects of the ks2 tests which children can be withdrawn from / not included in results for children who arrived in the country with little English I think 2 years or less before the tests. I am not sure of the rules.

Why does Grinling Gibbons ( the school that came top in 2013 and that has high deprivation) seem to have all its results suppressed?

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:59 am

volunteer wrote ''The maths results at those schools are very good too''.

I read somewhere that 40% of errors on maths achievement tests are found to be due to reading errors.
(I)n Clackmannanshire the teachers found that when the synthetic-phonics-taught children went into the second year at school, they needed to go up a level in the Maths scheme, that is, one level above what would normally be used. This was thought to be a direct effect of the children coping better with the reading requirements of the maths scheme.
(Prof Rhona Johnston, personal communication to J.Colby. http://johncolby.wordpress.com/2008/06/ ... nd-grades/)

chew8

Post by chew8 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:09 pm

An incident to do with reading and maths has always stuck in my mind. It happened more than 20 years ago when I was teaching at a college for students aged 16+ and had some of my timetable allocated to one-to-one sessions with students who had literacy problems. One day a student came to me without his literacy folder. His previous lesson had been maths, and I asked him how he was getting on with that. He said he had struggled with parts of the GCSE practice paper they had been doing, so I said I would help if I could. When he produced the paper, I asked him which items he found difficult. His reply, verbatim, was 'It's all them ones with lots of words'. He was OK with numbers-only examples, but couldn't read well enough to understand the problems couched in words.

Jenny C.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:58 pm

Earlier in this thread I flagged up the KS2 SATs results for a few schools which I know use 'pure synthetic phonics'. Today I remembered a letter in the TES (Feb 2013) from a HT whose school definitely used mixed methods.
https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6266932
‘I have enjoyed the recent "fonix" correspondence - I have even pinned some of it to my staffroom wall. But I do feel there are serious issues at stake here. If it is true that the new curriculum will put into statute that children must be taught to read through phonics, I can see no option but to leave the profession I have lived and loved for 30 years because it goes against my principles and flies in the face of all my experience. I believe that the phonics test is flawed and is the result of people with their own agenda somehow having the government's ear.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who feels as I do - that there are as many ways to teach reading as there are children, and there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all teaching method. Please contact me on head@stcatherines.surrey.sch.uk if you would like to help with a campaign against death by phonics. For the record, I have always taught synthetic phonics in a systematic and structured way, but I have never taught children to use it as their main strategy for reading.
Stephanie Gibson, Headteacher, St Catherine's Primary School, Surrey’
N.B.italics added

Having checked the school's website, it appears that the HT is still working at the school despite the introduction of the new NC with phonics made statutory.

Here's what the school's website says about Teaching reading and phonics:
Reading and Phonics: Reading is a very high priority, and the younger children read regularly with an adult at school. We use the Nelson Thornes PM Reading Scheme, which enables them to read independently using a range of strategies, develops their phonic knowledge and increases their sight vocabulary. Once children no longer need the structure of a reading scheme, they move onto our colour bands, which ensures that they read a range of high-quality children's fiction, at the appropriate level. In addition, all children from Year 1 upwards have daily "guided reading" sessions. We teach phonics daily using Phonics Play, which children can also access at home: http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk. Children who need additional support with phonics are given one-to-one or small group sessions using a range of interventions including "Beat Dyslexia", "Acceleread/Accelewrite" and Download Reading.
Then I looked at the school's PSC and KS2 SATs results:
http://stcatherinesprimary.co.uk/sites/ ... 202014.pdf

PSC: Year 1 58% reaching required level 42% not reaching required level
Year 2 90% reaching required level 10% not reaching required level
http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/sch ... urn=124941

Free School Meals = 17.1%
ESL = 4.1%

KS2 SATs:
Reading
L4 79%
L5 45%
Writing
L4 83%
L5 24%
SPAG
L4 79%
L5 55%

Go compare!

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:41 am

Year 2 SATs

Check out the huge discrepancy between reading levels at the end of Year 2 for level 3 compared to writing levels at the end of Year 2 for level 3.

geraldinecarter

Post by geraldinecarter » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Has anyone taken this up with TES? Why do they give space for anti-phonics teachers who fail so many children?