Primary school's ppt re. synthetic phonics for parents

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Primary school's ppt re. synthetic phonics for parents

Post by Susan Godsland » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:38 pm

We often see school websites giving poor advice to parents on how to help their children with reading and spelling, if they give any advice at all.

This small primary school in London (Chelsea), which uses the Sound Reading System, has an accurate and helpful ppt. on its website on the subject of 'Phabulus Fonicks!'

http://www.chchchelsea.rbkc.sch.uk/811733424663.htm

cartwheel

Re: Primary school's ppt re. synthetic phonics for parents

Post by cartwheel » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:38 am

How wonderful that this school provides these excellent pointers on the school website.

Here is one that I have found incredibly helpful, but have not heard used in any classroom near me (U.S.), nor have any of the parents of my tutoring students received this advice from their child's school:
"Practice BLENDING, e.g. "It's time to have a b-a-th! You need to take off your s-o-ck-s."
I have worked with 5 and 6-year old students who had NO idea how to blend sounds (If I said p-e-t, the student might say "paper!"), after months or even over a year of elementary school. There really isn't any need for a child to be able to blend separate phonemes, it seems to me, UNLESS she needs to learn to read an alphabetic language. Then it is a crucial skill indeed... and so much fun to teach.

Also:
"Encourage them to check that they have written down every sound."
(Around here it is often presumed that some students simply aren't developmentally ready to "hear" vowel sounds, so they should just be encouraged to write the consonant sounds.)

FEtutor

Post by FEtutor » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:41 am

I don't know if it's just my machine that can't "see" it, but I can't find a direct link to the ppt. I just get a half page on the schools phonics policy and nothing else, and my search didn't throw up anything. Any advice on linking welcomed. I'd like to pass it on for the grandchildren.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:15 pm

If you scroll down to the base of the page you should see a dark blue rectangle with 'Phabulus Fonicks!' written on it.

Click on that square and it sequences through the 7 ppts.

Papermover

Post by Papermover » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Fetutor, have you found the ppt? I can't see it either, I'm using an iPad. I wonder if it's a mac/PC issue?

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Works fine for me on my laptop with Firefox browser.

I was a bit puzzled by the last 2 slides until I realised you have to click on them to make the text appear (sentence by sentence)

FEtutor

Post by FEtutor » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks, Susan, but there's no blue square- it must be a Mac/PC thing as you suggest Papermover, as I'm on an iPad too, using Safari. I'll have to wait till I get home to the PC after the weekend.
Joan

kenm

Post by kenm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Two of the pages have "Give lots of praise". (:-(
The rest looks spot on, as far as I can tell.

If the font is too small for comfort as it comes, you can use Control and + to enlarge, Control and - to reduce.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6