Hard-working ethnic minority pupils lifting schools’

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

JIM CURRAN

Hard-working ethnic minority pupils lifting schools’

Post by JIM CURRAN » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:25 am

Hard-working ethnic minority pupils lifting schools’ results as 'London effect' takes hold

The key to successful schools is having lots of pupils from ethnic minorities, according to a new study which suggests the work ethic of immigrant families leads to better exam results.

Research into the “London effect”, which sees the capital’s schools outperforming the rest of the country in their GCSEs, puts the achievement down to the diverse ethnic make-up of its schools.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 54789.html

volunteer

Re: Hard-working ethnic minority pupils lifting schools’

Post by volunteer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:27 am

Interesting. I've always thought this and was kind of "on the look out" for it when looking at secondary school choices this year.

There might be less racism and more respect if this reasearch was more widely reported.

JIM CURRAN

Re: Hard-working ethnic minority pupils lifting schools’

Post by JIM CURRAN » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Understanding the success of London’s
schools

Abstract
This paper contributes to understanding the ‘London Effect’, focussing on the role of the ethnic
composition. The aim is to understand the statistical contribution to the London premium of ethnic
composition. I also analyse data on the performance of recent immigrants. The results confirm that
pupil progress on standard measures is significantly higher than the rest of England, 9.8% of a
standard deviation. This is entirely accounted for by ethnic composition. The last decade of results
shows the same result. I show that for other measures of attainment, the London premium is halved
but remains significant

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/ ... /wp333.pdf