Rise in children passing literacy benchmarks

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

JIM CURRAN

Rise in children passing literacy benchmarks

Post by JIM CURRAN » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Rise in children passing literacy benchmarks as phonics method pays off
Government’s phonics check sees 5% rise in number of five- and six-year-olds passing, with 74% of pupils in England reaching expected standard
http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ics-method

JIM CURRAN

Re: Rise in children passing literacy benchmarks

Post by JIM CURRAN » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:23 am

Phonics test results are a credit to the last government
The improved screening test results are very welcome and reflect great credit on the previous government, which introduced a strong emphasis on the teaching of systematic synthetic phonics (SSP). The present government has continued to emphasise the importance of SSP and has sustained a focus on this in Ofsted’s inspections of teacher training. This is a good example of how consistent educational policies can bring benefits to children.

Teachers are now generally much more confident about teaching phonics and are able to make lessons engaging and enjoyable.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... government

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:26 am

I think David Waugh is being a touch disingenuous there. Has he forgotten that the last government funded Reading Recovery at the same time as issuing 'guidance' on phonics teaching?

However, it's good to see an education academic getting behind SP :smile:

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:31 pm

This government funds RR and its clones too, Maizie, it's no longer ring-fenced but AFAIK ECaR funding is incorporated into the Dedicated Schools Grant.

Good news re. the PSC results:

http://www.arkschools.org/news/ark-prim ... cs-results
88% of students at ARK schools passed the phonics check, well above the national average of 74%. This is despite ARK academies being located in areas serving many pupils on free school meals.
Three of our schools got 100% pass rates in phonics. ARK Globe in Elephant and Castle, Ark Academy in Wembley and ARK Conway in Acton saw all of their pupils pass the test.
Also, Guardian Education journalist Richard Adams noted that
Some 99% of pupils who had passed the phonics check in year one went on to meet or exceed the government’s benchmark levels for reading [comprehension] in year two, compared with only a third of pupils who had failed the check – suggesting a possible association between successful phonics teaching and later levels of literacy

chew8

Post by chew8 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:15 pm

When it comes to funding Reading Recovery, neither of the two main parties is blameless. The Conservatives were the first to introduce and fund it - that was in the early 1990s.

I do think, however, that both Labour and Conservatives deserve a share of the credit for supporting synthetic phonics.

Jenny C.

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:50 am

Nick Gibb: There’s no excuse for kids leaving primary school unable to read
http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-netw ... ad-phonics

chew8

Post by chew8 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:15 am

Hurrah for Nick Gibb!

Jenny C.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:45 am

I certainly think that Nick Gibb deserves 'three cheers' for his persistent commitment to promotion of research-informed SSP - we are indebted to his professionalism and personal commitment.

Re the Year One Phonics Screening Check benchmark of 32 out of 40 words read correctly, a friend has passed on some interesting subsequent data. She used a standardised reading test with a class of children two weeks or so after they did the phonics screening check in 2012 and again two years later – i.e. when they were finishing Year 3.

Children who got 36 to 40 on the PSC had an average reading age of 8 years 11 months at the time. This had gone up to 11 years 11 months in Y3 – i.e. their reading had gone up by 36 months in 24 months.

Children who got 32-35 in the PSC had an average reading age at the time of 7 years 6 months. By the end of Y3 this had gone up to 9 years 8 months, so their reading had gone up by 26 months in 24 months.

Children who got below 32 in the PSC had an average reading age at the time of 6 years 9 months. This had gone up to 7 years 8 months by the end of Y3, so they had made only 11 months’ progress in 24 months.

This seems to be a good illustration of what Keith Stanovich calls the ‘Matthew effect’ – those who get off to a good start in reading get better and better, whereas those who get off to a poor start fall further and further behind. If the rise in the PSC results means that more children are getting off to a good start, this must be good.

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:49 pm

I wholeheartedly agree Jenny, Nick Gibb deserves a huge amount of credit.Where's Michael Rosen?

kestrel

Post by kestrel » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:32 am

Having read those Guardian articles, I looked at the successive Key Stage 1 reports from 2011 to 2014. Perhaps the most impressive figures to me were the rise in children with SEN achieving level 2, from 51% to 60%, with steady increasing increments over the 3 year period. There was also a 5% rise in children achieving Level 3 over the same period.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:45 am

I agree, kestrel.

Jenny C.

kenm

Post by kenm » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:57 pm

Susan Godsland wrote:Also, Guardian Education journalist Richard Adams noted that
Some 99% of pupils who had passed the phonics check in year one went on to meet or exceed the government’s benchmark levels for reading [comprehension] in year two, compared with only a third of pupils who had failed the check – suggesting a possible association between successful phonics teaching and later levels of literacy
Did the Guardian get this information from a DfE publication? It's a striking correlation. As it stands it supports the point that good decoding improves understanding; if the analysis could show that both were correlated with SP teaching, it would be a big argument against the phonics deniers.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

chew8

Post by chew8 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:46 pm

See page 12 of this, kenm:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 4_text.pdf

Jenny C.

kenm

Post by kenm » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:05 pm

Thanks Jenny. I read the first part of this paper, had to interrupt reading, and never returned to it, so I missed that interesting result. I don't recall ministers celebrating this connection. Am I overrating its importance?
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

chew8

Post by chew8 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:32 pm

No, I don't think you are over-rating the importance of that point, kenm. Unfortunately the 2014 NFER report on the phonics check downplayed the significance a bit by pointing out that nearly a third of children (27.8%, I think) who did not pass the check in Year 1 also reached the expected level in the Key Stage 1 assessment a year later. What the NFER report ignored, however, was that children who did not pass the check in Year 1 were supposed to be given extra teaching. Many of them would then have passed it in Year 2, and that would have considerably reduced the percentage who got Level 2 or better at KS1 without ever having passed the phonics check. Maybe we'll hear more about this in the next NFER report.

Jenny C.