When pupils continue to be failed

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Derrie Clark

When pupils continue to be failed

Post by Derrie Clark » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:55 am

So, academies do not have to abide by the statutory guidelines:
The new National Curriculum, statutory in maintained schools from September 2014, states that pupils in Y1 should ''read aloud accurately books that are consistent with their developing phonic knowledge and that do not require them to use other strategies to work out words''
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _FINAL.pdf
If a child is failing to make progress because they are not being provided with systematic phonics or appropriate texts what can be done? Last Ofsted school received 'good'. Child scored 4 on phonic check end of year 2. Is phonic check required in year 3?

And same situation for another child in a maintained school. Anyone know what Nick Gibb's take is on this? Parents are at a loss to know what to do.

chew8

Re: When pupils continue to be failed

Post by chew8 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:14 am

I think some children start to self-teach quite early and can move on to texts which go beyond their phonic knowledge, but children who are slow to catch on do seem to need texts which are ‘consistent with their developing phonic knowledge’.

I had an interesting experience recently when I was supposed to be hearing the reading of the weakest Year 1 children. I had decided to check their letter-sound knowledge before we started, so had prepared flashcards with all 26 letters in random order, plus a few digraphs. Most of the children were quick and accurate on the single letters and even knew a few digraphs - I was pleasantly surprised. Then we started on their reading books - they apparently choose their own, and only one child brought along a book which was consistent with his phonic knowledge. After they had made their way through their books, clearly relying on 'other strategies' or help from me, I produced a book which consisted entirely of vc or cvc words, apart from the word ‘the’. These children, who had shown good knowledge of letter-sound correspondences a few minutes earlier, apparently didn’t realise that they could use this knowledge in text-reading. It was as if letter-sound knowledge and text-reading were in separate compartments in their minds.

In that class, however, there are also children who, with the same teaching in Reception (or extra input at home?), already have reading ages several years above chronological age and can read almost anything.

Jenny C.