Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

FEtutor

Read On. Get On: new campaign

Post by FEtutor » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:52 pm

chew8

Re: Read On. Get On: new campaign

Post by chew8 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:41 pm

This is quite interesting - it's from p. 30 of the Read On, Get On report:

At the beginning of his final year at primary school, Paul, a White British boy had the reading age of a six-year-old. His literacy levels had actually fallen....

After assessing his reading, Ms Gibb identified that Paul’s biggest challenge to improving his reading was not in comprehension but in decoding words. Once she had a full understanding of what the challenges facing Paul were, Ms Gibb was able to design a tailored development plan for him. The plan included regular meetings between her and his mother, daily one-to-one reading for Paul in school and at home, daily independent reading and taught phonics work. All this was backed up with rigorous assessment against the planned targets. At the end of Ms Gibb’s intervention, Paul excelled, discovering a love of reading and achieving well above the national average. He was not the only one. Across the school, Ms Gibb’s approach resulted in a transformation in literacy. It went from being a school where more than half of children failed to reach a good level of reading, to one where over 95% left primary school with strong reading ability, opening up the wonder and opportunities of learning.

It's nice to see the reference to decoding and phonics here, though one wonders why this boy's problems hadn't been identified before the start of Y6. I haven't finished reading the report yet, but hope there may be more about phonics.

Jenny C.

geraldinecarter

Post by geraldinecarter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:50 am

This report is 64 pages long - phonics is marginalised. Look at p.32 where Jean Gross gives advice - including a perfunctory nod towards phonics while, of course, recommending Reading Recovery....
No wonder billions have been spent and so many children are still left behind.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:28 am

I agree that phonics is marginalised, and think this could have been harder for the authors to do if the 2014 Key Stage 2 results had been available when the report was written.

Jenny C.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Fri May 15, 2015 5:45 pm

I just signed up to attend the 'Read on get on' conference at the end of May - and then received a standard email inviting me to provide some personal details and asking me if there is anything I would like to discuss at the conference - so I responded as below:

Do you have anything that you would like to discuss at the conference?
Yes please – I am concerned about the lack of mention of systematic synthetic phonics taught rigorously which teaches all children in some schools to read, regardless of economic disadvantage, gender and English as an additional language. Your campaign has not mentioned, to my knowledge, the Ofsted report from 2010 ‘Reading by six – How the best schools do it’ nor the 2014 Ofsted report ‘Ready to read – how a sample of primary schools in Stoke-on-Trent teach pupils to read'. I can find no credit given to successive governments for the investigations into teaching reading and the subsequent promotion of the Simple View of Reading, the match-funded phonics initiative and the statutory Year One Phonics Screening Check. Most emphasis of the campaign seems to be on ‘reading for ten minutes a day’ rather than any mention of findings to date of how some schools with research-informed phonics practices in language-rich and literature-rich settings are very successful. I can find no reference to the fact that the English spelling system has the most complex alphabetic code in the world which goes a considerable way to explaining why literacy results are not necessarily as good as other European countries. Also, my understanding is that the USA does have worse literacy problems than the UK which I have heard first-hand from Bob Sweet, President and founder of the National Right to Read Foundation in America. Whilst I totally applaud the good intent of the ‘Read on get on’ campaign, considerable time and money appears to have been spent on commissioning the NFER and others to conduct various surveys but little or no attention has been afforded to existing good progress in schools thanks to the greater inclusion of phonics practices. Great emphasis is placed in the campaign on early language (excellent), greater parental and community involvement (excellent), support for schools (but no analysis of ‘what’ that support might look like and little or no attention given to the schools’ professional development to date and the fact that some schools are already achieving fantastic literacy, and an emphasis on one to one intervention appears to be a main focus but this is not relevant for a group as large as 20% to 25% of children - but an absence of mention of whole school practices and group intervention). I hope that the conference will include a more complete analysis of progress in the UK, how to inform parents and others about the complex English alphabetic code and phonics information – not just thinking that ‘ten minutes of reading a day’ will be the main way to improve literacy levels. The schools have the parents’ children for most of the day, five days a week and the campaign should surely be ackowledging this in a much bigger way than it appears to do so through its website and literature.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Fri May 15, 2015 5:47 pm

Here is the website, you can see the thrust of the campaign is 'ten minutes of reading a day will make a difference':

http://www.readongeton.org.uk

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Fri May 15, 2015 6:06 pm

Reminded me of this blog post

https://heatherfblog.wordpress.com/2014 ... h-reading/

''Most schools rely on parents to teach children to read..''

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Wed May 20, 2015 12:23 pm

The latest survey about 'reading enjoyment' from the National Literacy Trust:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-32797986

Then, it is no surprise, is it, that the last line is yet another dig at 'government' - never any credit for successive governments looking into research and leading-edge practice - completely reversing their guidance on the official 'model' of reading from the multi-cueing searchlights model to the adoption of the Simple View of Reading model.

And introducing systematic synthetic phonics and the need for cumulative, decodable reading books when asking beginners to read independently.

:roll:

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Wed May 20, 2015 1:07 pm

Do they mention that the need to encourage Reading for Pleasure is firmly embedded in the statutory element of the new National Curriculum?

For example p11 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 220714.pdf
Statutory
requirements
Pupils should be taught to:

develop pleasure in reading, motivation to read, vocabulary and understanding by:

listening to and discussing a wide range of poems, stories and non
-fiction at a level beyond that at which they can read independently

being encouraged to link what they read or
hear read to their own experiences

becoming very familiar with key stories, fairy stories and traditional tales,
retelling them and considering their particular characteristics

recognising and joining in with predictable phrases

learning to appreciate rhymes and poems, and to recite some by heart

discussing word meanings, linking new meanings to those already known

understand both the books they can already read accurately and fluently and those
they listen to by:

drawing on what they already know or on background information and
vocabulary provided by the teacher

checking that the text makes sense to them as they read and correcting
inaccurate reading

discussing the significance of the title and events

making inferences on the basis of what is being said and done

predicting what might happen on the basis of what has been read so far

participate in discussion about what is read to them, taking turns and listening to
what others say

explain clearly their understanding of what is read to them.