'Master teachers' set to be new classroom elite

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

kenm

Re: 'Master teachers' set to be new classroom elite

Post by kenm » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:08 am

Jenny C. wrote:Excellent results. Congratulations to the school and to you, John.
I agree.
John Walker wrote:This year St Thomas Aquinas again saw 97% of its Y1 pupils gain the 'required level' in the screening check again this year. [The pupil who didn't reach it has multiple learning difficulties.]
Are there national figures for the proportion of children whose learning difficulties are such that it would be unreasonable to expect a school to get them through the phonics check by Y2?
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

john walker

Post by john walker » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks to Jenny and Ken!
On your question, Ken: I don't know offhand, though I'm sure Susan, Jenny or one of the RRF Exec will have a good idea of national figures.
Interestingly, though I mentioned St Thomas Aquinas's latest results, St George's C. of E. in Wandsworth is the second most deprived in south London with 55% of children on free school meals. They just got 100% of children through the phonics screening check, as they also did last year too.
I'm not beating the drum for Sounds-Write here when I give these results because I firmly believe that with proper, rigorous training in phonics and with a head that has the resolution to make sure it's implemented effectively, anyone can do this. And, like Debbie, I acknowledge that there are schools we've trained that go back after their training and 'status quo', or mix it up with all sorts of things that run counter to the programme, or simply don't do it. In cases like that, what can we do other than gnash our teeth with frustration.
Of course, there will also be a very small number of children who will struggle/take longer. Going on what I hear, children who score upwards of twenty on the check can be expected to score very highly on the check in Y2. For example, I've just heard from The Academy of Woodlands Primary in Gillingham, who have worked one-to-one with a just such a child (25/40 last year) and that child scored 40/40 this year.
Children who achieve very low scores usually have other fairly serious/serious problems (speech and language disorders) and they are harder to teach. However, I have knowledge of a child who scored just 2/40 last year and this year has scored in the low twenties. I fully expect that child to catch up by next year but it's hard intensive work and it requires the commitment that some schools aren't prepared to put in - shame on them!
John Walker
Sounds-Write
www.sounds-write.co.uk
http://literacyblog.blogspot.com

chew8

Post by chew8 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:23 pm

I don't know the answer to the learning difficulties question.

Jenny C.