Ofsted: teaching reading in Stoke-failing children

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

kestrel

Re: Ofsted: teaching reading in Stoke-failing children

Post by kestrel » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:20 am

I googled the name of the lead inspector, Rachel Howie. Came up with this quote from a 2013 inspection of Ravensdale junior school which she also inspected:

"Younger pupils who struggle with reading have a good range of strategies to help them work out how to read words and understand texts." (emphasis mine)

And 3 months ago she was praising the parachute activity in a different school inspection (Redesdale Academy)

john walker

Post by john walker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:16 am

Let's be honest about it, many of the inspectors haven't a clue (You're right, Ken!) about how to teach reading and spelling in the early years. It's now eight years since the Rose Review was published and it's abundantly clear that many of the primary inspectorate have either not read it or have simply ignored it - along with just about everything else that has been published in support of a systematic, incremental teaching of phonics.
The trouble is that they go into these schools and pronounce in favour of the bells, whistles, all singing, all dancing approach and then cane them two or three years down the line for failing huge numbers of children.
How I'd love to gain a foothold in my former stamping ground - at least I speak the Stokish dialect. Still, I'm edging closer: we've got a training in Derby - our first - beginning in November. Perhaps the phonics virus will spread along the A50!
John Walker
Sounds-Write
www.sounds-write.co.uk
http://literacyblog.blogspot.com

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:53 pm

I agree John, a lot of what goes on during these inspections is pure pantomime and I don't blame teachers ,they only give the inspectorate what they want.Ofsted and the teacher training colleges bear a huge responsibility for this mess

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:21 pm

'Too many pupils in Stoke-on-Trent getting an inadequate education, with schools not improving rapidly enough'

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/stok ... ys-schools