New LDA bulletin: lots and lots of reading!

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Susan Godsland
Administrator

New LDA bulletin: lots and lots of reading!

Post by Susan Godsland » Sun May 25, 2014 1:41 pm

A big treat from Australian LDA: They have given open access to the latest issue of their bulletin and its content is outstanding.

Content includes an article from Debbie on the Y1 phonics check, articles from Prof. Julian Elliott (author of The Dyslexia Debate), Alison Clarke (Spelfabet website author), Kevin Wheldall, Anne Castles, and Mandy Nayton on dyslexia, and a great letter about the problems with Reading Recovery research.

To access the bulletin, click on the link on this page:
https://www.ldaustralia.org/lda-bulleti ... issue.html

Thank you, Learning Difficulties Australia :grin:

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Re: New LDA bulletin: lots and lots of reading!

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Sun May 25, 2014 2:53 pm

I second that.

The LDA bulletin really demonstrates what a collective, international effort this is to move the teaching profession forwards with evidence-based reading instruction.

Note the references to the Rose Report which had an impact not only in England - it is acknowledged internationally.

I find reference to it in all manner of articles and papers. :grin:

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Mon May 26, 2014 10:18 am

Excellent! :grin:
Elizabeth

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Mon May 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks Susan, what an excellent magazine. Well done Debbie on a first class piece of writing.You must be the busiest person I know.

kenm

Post by kenm » Mon May 26, 2014 4:51 pm

Four proposals on p. 23 with which I agree:
Tom Alegounarias wrote:1. Teachers should be required to have postgraduate qualifications with a research component
2. A high-level achievement in English should be a prerequisite for entry into teacher education.
3. All student teachers should be assessed on their knowledge of evidence of what works in reading and writing.
4. Professional standards describing the characteristics of effective professional practice should be published, and used to evaluate teacher practice and promote improved practice.
How do we get DfE to accept these?
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Tue May 27, 2014 12:17 am

All student teachers should be assessed on their knowledge of evidence of what works in reading and writing.
And what of the existing teachers?

And what if they 'don't agree' with the evidence - something we've seen plenty of!!! :???:

kenm

Post by kenm » Tue May 27, 2014 8:08 am

Debbie Hepplewhite wrote:
All student teachers should be assessed on their knowledge of evidence of what works in reading and writing.
And what of the existing teachers?
He doesn't tackle that hot potato.
And what if they 'don't agree' with the evidence - something we've seen plenty of!!! :???:
Ditto. I don't suppose you think I know enough to tackle these questions. It will take an expert in the internal politics of the teaching profession as well as the technicalities of reading to find a short term solution. In the long term incompetent teachers will be replaced by competent ones if the training and accreditation proposals are followed.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Tue May 27, 2014 9:38 am

In the long term incompetent teachers will be replaced by competent ones if the training and accreditation proposals are followed.
I have heard of relatively well-trained students being shocked my poor phonics teaching on their teaching practices - so hopefully there is such a thing as a long term view of this.

But unfortunately, all the language so far about children who struggle is that this is about the children's difficulties or home-inadequacies and never about the teaching 'effectiveness'.

It doesn't help when Ofsted itself promotes the notorious parachute-phonics game.

And it won't help if the DfE discontinues the Year One phonics screening check.

On a personal note, I see no hint of retirement from contributing to the RRF - perhaps ever! LOL! ;-)

cartwheel

Post by cartwheel » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:38 am

I don't know how long the May LDA Australia bulletin will be available free online, but it is excellent.
[Note: I wasn't able to reach it via Susan's link, so I just went to the LDA website.]
Jennie (U.S.)

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks for that positive feedback, Jennie.

I would think that the more the folk at LDA feel appreciated for their huge efforts to produce such a great bulletin, the more likely that they'll allow free access. ;-)

Long may it continue!