Adults in UK behind other countries in numeracy and literacy

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

john walker

Adults in UK behind other countries in numeracy and literacy

Post by john walker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:03 am

Here's news (from the TES) of yet another OECD survey showing that adults in UK lag behind other countries in literacy and numeracy skills.
http://news.tes.co.uk/news_blog/b/weblo ... veals.aspx
Are we surprised? :roll:
John Walker
Sounds-Write
www.sounds-write.co.uk
http://literacyblog.blogspot.com

john walker

Re: Adults in UK behind other countries in numeracy and literacy

Post by john walker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:14 am

John Walker
Sounds-Write
www.sounds-write.co.uk
http://literacyblog.blogspot.com

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:14 pm

It doesn't surprise me. I'm shocked at what my children don't get taught at school but they still come back every year with NC levels that are above national expectations ... but that's probably because when I feel they are learning nothing / forgetting things while attending school all day every day I do something extra at home from time to time.

I would like to think my school is atypical but it is "good".

The worst thing Michael Gove could do for my children's education is to extend the school day or the school year.

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks John, a dreadful state of affairs but unfortunately not a surprise.

“In a damning conclusion, it was also revealed that levels of basic skills had effectively worsened over the last 40 years, with recent school leavers registering lower scores in tests than their parents’ or grandparents’ generation.
England was the only country in the developed world in which adults aged 55-to-65 performed better in literacy and numeracy than those aged 16-to-24 after taking account of other factors such as the economic background of those taking the test.”

kenm

Post by kenm » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Matthew Hancock wrote:These are Labour’s children, educated under a Labour government and force-fed a diet of dumbing down and low expectations… We are fixing the problem with a more rigorous curriculum, better teaching, higher standards and tougher discipline.”
Is there any evidence that this administration has improved teaching standards? I have not heard of any attempts to improve the standards of entry to courses or of teacher training in the university education departments, so are primary teachers any better educated or prepared than they were in 2010?
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:45 pm

JIM CURRAN wrote:England was the only country in the developed world in which adults aged 55-to-65 performed better in literacy and numeracy than those aged 16-to-24 after taking account of other factors such as the economic background of those taking the test.”
Probably the last generation who got mostly phonics instruction when learning to read?

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:36 pm

England's young people near bottom of global league table for basic skills
OECD finds 16- to 24-year-olds have literacy and numeracy levels no better than those of their grandparents' generation

"England is among a handful of nations where social background determines reading skills. Along with Germany, Italy, Poland and the United States, the children of parents with low levels of education in England have "significantly lower proficiency than those whose parents have higher levels of education".

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... kills-oecd

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:14 am

Poor children's life chances are decided in primary school, report finds
Figures show most poor pupils who fall behind by age of seven will fail to get five good GCSEs including English and maths

More than four-fifths of children from low-income families who have fallen behind by the age of seven will fail to achieve five good GCSEs including English and maths – a glaring inequality that highlights the extent to which poor children's life chances are determined in primary school, a leading charity says.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ool-report

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:42 pm

What age is the grandparents' generation to which they are referring? I am an older parent and I would be pleased if my children were as well educated at school as my parents (their grand parents) are. But my children are not educated half so well. I am probably the grandparent generation to which they are referring. Yikes!

JAC

Post by JAC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:11 am

Australia did rather well, yet only last week the Australian Bureau of Statistics told us
that 50% of adult Tasmanians were functionally illiterate and innumerate. What is the average statistically compromised person to make of these sorts of headlines?

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:19 am

British education in crisis? Literacy and numeracy skills of young people in UK among lowest in developed world
Pupils worse at maths and English than grandparents with England 22nd for literacy and 21st for numeracy out of 24 countries

They showed -as well - a starker link between people's performance and their backgrounds in England and Northern Ireland. Adults who had at least one parent involved in a university-level education scored 26.7 points higher in literacy than those with parents who did not pursue such qualifications. This compared to an international average of 18 points difference between the two groups. In numeracy, the figures were even more stark - a 31.1 point difference in the UK compared with 19.5 internationally.http://www.independent.co.uk/student/ne ... 66117.html

kenm

Post by kenm » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:21 pm

JIM CURRAN wrote:Adults who had at least one parent involved in a university-level education scored 26.7 points higher in literacy than those with parents who did not pursue such qualifications.
Inheritance might have an effect on this ...
This compared to an international average of 18 points difference between the two groups. In numeracy, the figures were even more stark - a 31.1 point difference in the UK compared with 19.5
... but that looks like a difference in teaching' effectiveness.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Clegg plans headteacher 'champions league' to boost struggling schools

The best headteachers in Britain will be offered substantial pay rises and other financial incentives to take over failing schools in deprived areas, Nick Clegg will say.

In a speech on education, the deputy prime minister will announce the creation of an elite squad of headteachers – called the "champions league" – in a scheme similar to Tony Blair's superheads programme under New Labour.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ue-schools

Our education system is in dire straits and this is the best that the politicians can come up with!