Dyslexia

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

JIM CURRAN

Dyslexia

Post by JIM CURRAN » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:45 am

How Robert Redford's family are changing our thinking on dyslexia
At 10, Dylan Redford, grandson of Robert, could barely read or write. His story features in a revealing and touching documentary about the condition made by his father, James

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013 ... ig-picture

kenm

Re: Dyslexia

Post by kenm » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:47 am

JIM CURRAN wrote:How Robert Redford's family are changing our thinking on dyslexia
I don't think it's likely to change mine.
The Big Picture explores some of the recent scientific research around dyslexia which has used brain imaging to demonstrate that shrinkage in the arcuate fasciculus, the part of the brain that processes word sounds and language, could be one of the condition's contributory factors.
.. or inappropriate teaching failing to enlarge it?
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:43 am

kenm wrote:
JIM CURRAN wrote:
How Robert Redford's family are changing our thinking on dyslexia
I don't think it's likely to change mine.
That brightened my morning, Ken :grin:

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:04 am

... shrinkage in the arcuate fasciculus, the part of the brain that processes word sounds and language, could be one of the condition's contributory factors.
Or it(shrinkage) could be one of the condition's consequences....

... so long as we are clear about the fact that, despite the use of unfamiliar yet medical-sounding labels offered as the basis of understanding, we are still in the world of speculation.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:42 pm

e Big Picture explores some of the recent scientific research around dyslexia which has used brain imaging to demonstrate that shrinkage in the arcuate fasciculus, the part of the brain that processes word sounds and language, could be one of the condition's contributory factors.
Surely the only way to establish whether this is 'shrinkage', or, failure to develop in the same way as a 'normal' reader's is to screen a large sample before learning to read. Does anyone have a link to such a study?

Kiki

Post by Kiki » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:23 pm

"the condition is still shrouded in mystery"

Really??

I do hope they are not going to lead another load of desperate parents and children down some wacky, 'wonderful' and usually ridiculously expensive road to some solution or other.

Yes, some really bright, talented kids do grow up and achieve really great things despite not having been taught to read but as the article points out, so many more end up in prison and similarly underachieving.