Dyslexic overachievers

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

FEtutor

Dyslexic overachievers

Post by FEtutor » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:32 am

Intriguing article on how some high achievers compensated for their poor reading skills so well they went on to success, but would not wish their experience at school on their own children. PR for a new book. Gift of Dyslexia Mark 2?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013 ... m-gladwell

JIM CURRAN

Re: Dyslexic overachievers

Post by JIM CURRAN » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks FE tutor, a fascinating read. I’ve always been a big fan of Malcolm Gladwell’s but he can be a bit on the light side at times. I’ve never bought into the idea of Dyslexia as a gift and adversity doesn’t always build character, a lot depends on the individual. In many cases continued adversity will destroy the person. There’s a school near me which specializes in working with dyslexic children and they use the phrase “learned helplessness’’ to describe the behavior of many of their pupils.

Kiki

Post by Kiki » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:55 pm

I too despair at the suggestion that dyslexia is a gift. The notion simply makes children and adults who don't have any special talent feel doubly hard-done by; after all they are no more likely to have a special 'talent' than anyone else. It is a really pernicious myth.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:35 am

If you take away the gift of reading, you create the gift of listening. If you bomb a city, you leave behind death and destruction. But you create a community of remote misses.
Wow! :shock: