Establish an alphabetic code to avoid errors and confusion

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

john walker

Re: Establish an alphabetic code to avoid errors and confusion

Post by john walker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:26 pm

The 'error' is the coding of 'caught' as <c> <au> <ght>, isn't it? Of course, the spelling of /or/ could be <au> if she teaches the spelling of /t/ as <ght> but it does seem rather unlikely :???: . Then there's <oor>, <aw>, <au>, and <ore> for /or/ followed by, three columns on, another spelling of /or/ - this time <or>. Have we switched from sound to spelling to spelling to sound?
I also thought that I wouldn't have given the word 'shoe' as an example of a word containing the sound /sh/ because <oe> is such an infrequent spelling of /oo/. Why not 'fish' or 'shop', or something else that's simple if /sh/ is the focus? There's a potential problem with 'wash' too, given that, unless sound-spelling correspondences are taught randomly, the spelling <a> here represents the sound /o/. The inclusion of 'flower' in the /er/ list is also something I'd have avoided for the time being as <er> here is not an /er/ sound but a schwa. Is Lindsay a northerner, by the way? 'Soot' works in the m/oo/n list for people like me :smile:, though I doubt it works down there, Susan.
So, in terms of simple to complex, it's a bit disorganised :roll:
John Walker
Sounds-Write
www.sounds-write.co.uk
http://literacyblog.blogspot.com

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:54 pm

You found nearly all of them, John, but I also question:

- 'up' being in the same column as good, book and pull.

- 'tune' being in same column as flew and blue

john walker

Post by john walker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Yes, Susan. 'Up' definitely doesn't belong with 'good', etc. However, 'tune' could go with 'flew', 'moon' and other /oo/ words, I think, especially if you come from London, a pron which, in the case of 'tune', has carried over to the States :grin: .
John Walker
Sounds-Write
www.sounds-write.co.uk
http://literacyblog.blogspot.com

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:17 pm

John, re. 'tune', I was being slightly pedantic as it has the extra /y/ sound, unlike moon, flew and blue.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:46 pm

In some northern accents, 'up' has the same vowel sound as 'good', 'book' and 'pull'.

Re. 'caught': if 'gh' is regarded as frequently 'silent', then 'ght' doesn't have to be regarded as a grapheme for /t/ in ‘caught’. I know that many RRFers disapprove of the concept of 'silent' letters, but the possibility that others may be thinking in those terms should be allowed for.

More generally: is this really an attempt at an alphabetic code chart? It’s simply headed ‘Phonic Sounds’, and it probably shouldn’t be judged as if it was attempting more than it is attempting.

Jenny C.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:55 am

There, it was such a muddle I couldn't even see them!

Did wince very much at its title 'Phonic Sounds'. What other sort of sounds are there?

Agree with Jenny re the 'u' in 'up'. I suspect that the chart is for Northern children; North Eastern even where 'soot' is very likely to sound like 'suit'.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:23 pm

It's a UK chart as made by 'Colourful Learning', but Lindsay and her blogging friends are in the USA. I'm sure she just used it as an illustration for her posting on 'phonics'.

You can get all sorts of chart pictures off the web - for a wide and fascinating selection see - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%27%2 ... 3&dpr=1.25