Reading Recovery, EAL and teacher training

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Kiki

Reading Recovery, EAL and teacher training

Post by Kiki » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi all

I hope you can help me as I need some quick help here and the search facility on here isn’t being terribly helpful:

Reading Recovery:
an explanation of RR and why apparently good results may be very misleading (eg that children are trained to read the texts they are tested on, children being ‘selected’ for and others being excluded from training etc) and long-term post training outcomes.

Also, am I right in thinking that around the Rose Report came out in 2007 that Gordon Brown inexplicably jumped up and started promoting RR – why was that?

Teaching reading instruction:
How much reading instruction training do trainee teachers get in reading instruction and what evidence is there as to the quality of the phonics training that trainee teachers are getting (I seem to remember some very poor evaluations of some of our Teacher Training institutions in this regards. I seem to think that it is worryingly little and I get this impression from teachers themselves. When I have attended presentations on phonics etc and teachers have been asked “how much reading instruction training did you get at college (and I don’t just mean phonics) they have invariably answered “ VERY LITTLE”

I do see there is a current thread on current training but I would also like an overview of teachers trained in last 10 or even more years. Plus, how much do you think the average headteacher really knows about the teaching of reading. How many of them will have had early years training and when would that have been.

EAL
Evidence regarding the success of good phonics teaching with children with English as an Additional language. I am minded of two things here:
1) the outstanding success from Ruth Miskin’s Kobi Nazrul school in Tower Hamlets which achieved high literacy results despite the fact that a huge proportion of the pupils were from immigrant Bangladeshi families with low socio-economic status and low literacy levels.
2) I seem to remember a Jolly Phonics study conducted in Canada where although all pupils benefited from the move to synthetic phonics teaching the group that benefited the MOST was the EAL group.

Any other evidence out there?

Many, many thanks for any help offered – I am trying to bring some REAL EVIDENCE before my local authority so that those scrutinising decisions made by their so-called subject matter experts can start to ask some meaningful and insightful questions.

Kiki

Re: Reading Recovery, EAL and teacher training

Post by Kiki » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:42 pm

And I now remember something else I was after. Again I seem to remember that the KS2 SATs test (or similar) used to reward pupils for guessing. So if presented with a picture of a horse by a pond and text "the horse is next to the pond" they would have been deemed correct if they 'read' pony for horse?

Is this right and if so what was the degree of guessing allowed. eg would 'water' been allowed for 'pond' in the above example?

Thank you!

geraldinecarter

Post by geraldinecarter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Kiki - nice to hear from you. I'm hoping that someone with some 'distance' from RR will reply to you and someone who can marshal the evidence with greater fleet of foot - but I'll respond in a couple of days if your queries haven't been addressed. Fingers crossed they will be.

It's difficult from this distance to piece together the trajetory of Gordon Brown and Reading Recovery. It is said that Sarah Brown was involved and Jean Gross had her 'ear' and, of course, anything that made Gordon look a bit more 'caring'....this is one of the great problems - the perception of caring - expensive intervention, glossy leaflets and good P.R. works in favour of dyslexi intervention and Reading Recovery intervention.

Are you back in the UK?

Kiki

Post by Kiki » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:04 pm

He Geraldine :-)

I have been back in the UK a few years now and treated myself a while back to attending one of Fiona Nevola's courses, I really will have to make it to a conference one of these years! In fact I think Fiona is the only RRF stalwart I have ever met though I have spoken on the phone to one or two others.

I have managed to pull one or two documents out of the ether regarding RR but not much on EAL yet and Free School Meals data (ir reducing the attainment gap) data would be great if any exists.

Also, is there any list of what people would consider to be flagship SP schools? If I could have a few names then I could drill down into their DofE data .

And yes that is how I remember it, old Gordon got involved because of his wife's interest (way to make government policy and spend our money eh?!)

Take care and hope to meet up eventually!

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 pm

A bit off topic Kiki but I have a list of all the Secondary schools (non Grammar ) in Northern Ireland, their GCSE results ( 5+ A* - C including English and Maths ) and the percentage of pupils in each school entitled to free school meals. For inspection purposes and comparison the schools are banded into the following categories.
1. Free school meals less than 20%
2. Between 20% and 29.9%
3. Between 30% and 39.9%
4. Between 40%- 49.9%
5. 50% or more
There are ten schools in category 5 and all of them fail to achieve 35% or more of their pupils achieving 5 or more GCSE’s A* - C including Maths and English. This is the criteria as far as I am aware used to indicate a failing school in England. Just another example of the correlation between high density poverty and educational underachievement.