Ofsted Videos

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Re: Ofsted Videos

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:01 pm

My apologies for mis-typing the title - actually it was sloppy work on my part as I was writing in a too-hasty fashion and did not check the title.

If I can make such a mistake, however, so can others.

I think it is an awful title to say 'non-negotiable' and the kind of 'Ofsted' speak which does Ofsted and other authority figures no favours.

If you combine such a title (be it 'the non-negotiables' or 'a non-negotiable') this adds to Elizabeth's well-reasoned suggestion that teachers will watch such videos and interpret all the practice on the videos as the style that Ofsted 'is looking for'.

The expression, 'What is Ofsted looking for?' is widespread and known to skew what people do in schools - whether simply during an Ofsted inspection or more widely.

We also have a rather insidious development, in my opinion, of schools buying in advisory help pre-inspection (that is, with Ofsted expectations in mind) and these advisory people - often 'trained' Ofsted inspectors themselves - providing the type of guidance which is definitely undermining the work and guidance of people such as Elizabeth and myself. Any pre-inspection advisors watching the videos may be misled by the need for simple phonics routines.

I have heard from many very unhappy teachers who are contacting me perturbed by Ofsted comments, and the comments of these pre-inspection advisors, as they are left feeling very confused as to exactly what they are supposed to do for their phonics provision.

I have an ongoing dispute myself with Ofsted regarding the advice for grouping - and yet Ofsted representatives tell me that they are not in the role of giving advice - then why are inspectors (perhaps on an individual basis) giving advice when officially they are not supposed to?

Therein lies the real question. Is it really Ofsted's role to produce video clips with various real-time practices with the commentary about the 'outstanding' nature/results of the schools? I suggest not.

Ofsted is doing that Orwellian thing described, I believe, as 'doublespeak'. On the one hand Ofsted inspectors have personally told me that Ofsted does not comment on 'how' teachers teach - that is, what methods they use.

On the other hand, individual inspectors clearly are passing specific comments as I hear from the devastated teachers - and also such videos as Elizabeth has flagged up of course give a message of 'approval' by Ofsted of the practices as shown on the videos.

The peripheral, muddled practices on the video clips are not the type of activities recommended as 'core' by leading-edge phonics teacher-trainers and programme authors.

Thus, I think it is justifiable that we should worry about the misleading messages given by at least some of the clips on these videos.

It's difficult enough trying to provide good guidance and systematic resources and programmes on a national level - without Ofsted directly undermining our core message about the need for simple phonics routines.

Derrie Clark

Post by Derrie Clark » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:31 am

We also have a rather insidious development, in my opinion, of schools buying in advisory help pre-inspection (that is, with Ofsted expectations in mind) and these advisory people - often 'trained' Ofsted inspectors themselves - providing the type of guidance which is definitely undermining the work and guidance of people such as Elizabeth and myself. Any pre-inspection advisors watching the videos may be misled by the need for simple phonics routines.
I think it would be fascinating to find out how much schools are spending each year to buy these consultants in. I have heard in the region of £17,000? I think this is because they are turning into Academies and no longer have the free support of the Local Authority Advisors. In any case, these support plans can appear to lack specificity.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm not in a position to comment on the matter of schools buying in pre-inspection advice, so will limit myself to the following...
Debbie wrote:My apologies for mis-typing the title - actually it was sloppy work on my part as I was writing in a too-hasty fashion and did not check the title.

If I can make such a mistake, however, so can others.

I think it is an awful title to say 'non-negotiable' and the kind of 'Ofsted' speak which does Ofsted and other authority figures no favours.
I have to say again that I think that the wording ‘Literacy: a non-negotiable' makes it clear that what Ofsted regards as ‘non-negotiable’ is schools’ duty to ensure that all children become literate. If the title is understood in that way, I see nothing controversial about it. It seems to me that if people interpret ‘non-negotiable’ as referring to particular teaching practices they are making assumptions which are not warranted by Ofsted’s wording.

I think there are some grounds for criticism of the Ofsted videos, but criticism may carry less weight if it’s based on misinterpretation. The same is true if it’s based on over-statement – e.g. if it implies that there’s nothing good about the videos.

Jenny C.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:32 pm

I would dearly love to be in a position not to feel the need to question the Ofsted's videos - their content or their possible role/outcome - but, sadly, I am regularly learning of Ofsted inspectors, or phonics/literacy advisors, providing contradictory advice to schools which is throwing the teachers into a state of confusion as to what they feel they 'should' be teaching and how they should teach.

The point of principle is that Ofsted claims inspectors do not tell schools what methods to use in their classrooms - and that they look at outcomes only.

The reality is that inspectors are indicating to schools ways of providing their phonics teaching in terms, at least, of grouping and differentiation (which they officially deny) - and these videos are in danger of suggesting that 'outstanding' practice may look like the mixing of outdoor games and phonics which we see on the videos.

Whereas these schools may well have outstanding national results at the end of Year Two and Year Six (the measurments looked at by officaldom), the types of activities we see such as the mixing of phonics and the parachute game are not the kind of activities which are likely to lead to each child fulfilling his or her potential - nor are they the kind of phonics activities which any of the main programme authors or teacher-trainers are likely to promote.

Teachers, arguably, need clarity of training and message for systematic synthetic phonics provision - and either Ofsted does not give advice, or it does, so which is it?

Regarding the terms 'the non-negotiables' or 'a non-negotiable' - I still maintain that this is uninspiring and unnecessary scary-speak and does not fit in with the subsequent rather pink and fluffy content of the videos themselves.

My suggestion is that literacy would be better described as a 'life-chance' issue - not a 'non-negotiable' issue - especially in respect to the nature of the subsequent videos themselves.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:13 pm

I've just watched some of the Ofsted videos again. I'd forgotten that the 'non-negotiable' heading is actually an allusion to a comment made by the assistant head-teacher of one of the schools. This comes in the introductory video. In that same video, a head-teacher talks in terms of literacy being an 'entitlement' and another stresses the importance of equipping children with the necessary skills. As I've said, I don't think that Ofsted's wording is at all controversial if understood in the way it's intended.

Jenny C.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 pm

It may be that Ofsted's intentions in showing these videos were different from how they are likely to be interpreted by teachers. My concerns are about how they are likely be interpreted.
Elizabeth

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:49 pm

Alerted by Old Andrew, seems that the Ofsted good practice videos have gone

geraldinecarter

Post by geraldinecarter » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:05 pm

That is very, very good news.
It may be that Ofsted's intentions in showing these videos were different from how they are likely to be interpreted by teachers
Elizabeth - these are highly paid people, supposed to have refined political antennae. If their intention was merely to show energetic, engaged teachers they could easily have found such teachers giving superb SP lessons. We've had so much muddled thinking for so long, it's incumbent on those who wield considerable power to be straight, transparent, have good subject knowledge and understand the political ramifications - and damage to children - caused by ambiguous instruction. These were just sloppy and misleading videos.

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:55 pm

:shock: Great result! :!: I am going to repeat my question I asked some weeks ago to which I received a smiley face from a forum member. Has anyone asked ofsted to bin the videos? Who will own up?

chew8

Post by chew8 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:42 am

Are we sure that the videos have been permanently withdrawn? Might it just be a temporary blip?

Jenny C.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:01 am

Even an Ofsted YouTube video clip has disappeared so it seems deliberate rather than a technical glitch

http://teachingbattleground.wordpress.c ... ce-videos/