Writing by hand is on the way to extinction.

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Re: Writing by hand is on the way to extinction.

Post by Susan Godsland » Fri May 16, 2014 8:09 pm

Frustrating isn't it, Jim :( but at least it isn't completely behind a paywall like the Times.

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sun May 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Is it a lack of joined-up thinking to let handwriting go to the wall?

When I was in primary school, I envied my friend Anna. When we practised our handwriting in headline copies in Miss Murphy’s senior infants class, she could produce the curls and loops and, even better, the neat, even size of the letters apparently effortlessly. While I could occasionally replicate the immaculate copperplate of the sentence printed across the top line, more often than not my efforts were marred by squiggles, variations in size in the letters and the spaces between them, and big, blowsy inkblots scattered over the page.
To today’s children, the idea of learning to write by copying worthy maxims – “A stitch in time saves nine”, “The early bird catches the worm” – using a dip pen and and an inkwell seems medieval. You might as well ask them to write with a goose quill on parchment.
http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books ... -1.1796968

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:01 pm

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... B_20140604
Don't take notes with a laptop: Students who used longhand remembered more and had a deeper understanding of the material.

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Thanks Susan, fascinating stuff.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:40 am

Finland to start teaching typing instead of longhand writing :sad:

http://www.helsinkitimes.fi/finland/fin ... and-2.html

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:21 am

I wonder if their spelling skills will start to suffer?

http://literacyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... board.html

kenm

Post by kenm » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:12 pm

I thought there was evidence that learning to write letters helped children to recognise them.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:07 pm

Indeed, Ken. And someone from a mailing list I am on posted these extracts:
“In this debate about the importance of motor conditions when learning to read and write, the results of the present study are in agreement with those showing that writing letters facilitates their memorization and their subsequent recognition (Hulme, 1979; Naka and Naoi, 1995)” (p. 75).

Thus, replacing handwriting by typing during learning might have an impact on the cerebral representation of letters and thus on letter memorization. In two behavioral studies, Longcamp et al. investigated the handwriting/typing distinction, one in pre-readers (Longcamp, Zerbato-Poudou et al., 2005b) and one in adults (Longcamp, Boucard, Gilhodes, & Velay, 2006). Both studies confirmed that letters or characters learned through typing were subsequently recognized less accurately than letters or characters written by hand. In a subsequent study (Longcamp et al., 2008), fMRI data showed that processing the orientation of handwritten and typed characters did not rely on the same brain areas. Greater activity related to handwriting learning was observed in several brain regions known to be involved in the execution, imagery, and observation of actions, in particular, the left Broca’s area and bilateral inferior parietal lobules. Writing movements may thus contribute to memorizing the shape and/or orientation of characters. However, this advantage of learning by handwriting versus typewriting was not always observed when words were considered instead of letters. In one study (Cunningham & Stanovich, 1990), children spelled words which were learned by writing them by hand better than those learned by typing them on a computer.

Mangen, A., & Velay, J-L. (2010). Digitizing literacy: Reflections on the haptics of writing, Advances in Haptics, In Mehrdad Hosseini Zadeh (Ed.), InTech. DOI: 10.5772/8710. Retrieved from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/advance ... of-writing

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:37 pm

We need to teach very good handwriting - and very good touch-typing.

It shouldn't be an either/or.

:???:

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:41 pm

As Debbie says, it shouldn't be either /or. Teach handwriting in the early years and then teach touch-typing at secondary, so students are adept at both.

Handwriting vs typing: is the pen still mightier than the keyboard?
Computers may dominate our lives, but mastery of penmanship brings us important cognitive benefits, research suggests

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014 ... ine-typing

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:29 pm

Handwriting vs typing: is the pen still mightier than the keyboard?

In the past few days you may well have scribbled out a shopping list on the back of an envelope or stuck a Post-it on your desk. Perhaps you added a comment to your child’s report book or made a few quick notes during a meeting. But when did you last draft a long text by hand? How long ago did you write your last “proper” letter, using a pen and a sheet of writing paper? Are you among the increasing number of people, at work, who are switching completely from writing to typing?

No one can say precisely how much handwriting has declined, but in June a British survey of 2,000 people gave some idea of the extent of the damage. According to the study, commissioned by Docmail, a printing and mailing company, one in three respondents had not written anything by hand in the previous six months. On average they had not put pen to paper in the previous 41 days. People undoubtedly write more than they suppose, but one thing is certain: with information technology we can write so fast that handwritten copy is fast disappearing in the workplace.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014 ... ine-typing

kenm

Post by kenm » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:41 am

Susan Godsland wrote:As Debbie says, it shouldn't be either /or. Teach handwriting in the early years and then teach touch-typing at secondary, so students are adept at both.
I suggest handwriting from R to Y2, but touch typing earlier than secondary, because by then many children will have been using computers for enough years to acquire their own typing habits that might delay the acquisition of good touch typing.
Jim Curran wrote:... when did you last draft a long text by hand?
In 1998, when I took my Music Part II exams. Having been producing texts with computer-assistance since c. 1971 and very little manuscript since 1980, I realised that three-hour exams would be a physical strain on my hand, so put in some practice beforehand.
Jim Curran wrote:While I could occasionally replicate the immaculate copperplate of the sentence printed across the top line, more often than not my efforts were marred by squiggles, variations in size in the letters and the spaces between them, and big, blowsy inkblots scattered over the page.
I too was taught to write in copperplate from the age of four, and this describes my writing style (except for the exact replication) until I was 23. I then met a primary teacher at my local gliding club who lent me her Puffin book about italic writing. I derived my own style as a slight simplification of this; it was a great improvement on my previous scrawl. Italic is easier to learn than copperplate and nearer the shape of most print, so I would expect it to be even more help to reading. Italic nibs encourage one to write a particular size of character, related to their width. I suppose learning to write italic characters and reading print would make a child less expert in reading copperplate, but that is not the only variation of manuscript or print that one might meet later in a historical context.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:00 pm

BBC Radio World Service. The Forum

Listen to:

Professor Karin James

Why handwriting is good for brain development

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02hnxmq

LGP

Post by LGP » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Can anyone recommend:

1. a good cursive writing instruction book, preferably with practise pages?
2. handwriting exercise book (with the right lines for tall and dipping letters, and preferably shaded middle area)?

As you can tell, I have a lot to learn on the terminology!

Thanks

LGP

Post by LGP » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:55 pm

Sorry - I've posted this in wrong forum - I'll move it to Practical Posts.