information requested

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

ealteacher

information requested

Post by ealteacher » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:27 pm

Hello
I am asking for some information please.
I have just come back from a meeting where local councillors spoke about their jobs and their priorities. Underachievement in some local primary schools was identified as a major cause for concern. These schools have many children who do not have English as their first language and some strategies were discussed towards raising achievement. I do know that on this forum, specific schools have been mentioned which achieve excellent outcomes for children with similar needs. I do know that Ruth Miskin's school was very successful and I believe there are others. Could anyone direct me to information about such schools that I can pass on to interested councillors and school governors.

thankyou
Pat Oxley

Lesley Drake

Re: information requested

Post by Lesley Drake » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Elmhurst primary in Newham is such a case.

HT Shahed Ahmed is very helpful.

They have been following Ruth's programme for years now with fantastic results.

Very high numbers of EAL pupils.

geraldinecarter

Post by geraldinecarter » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:07 am

Yes, Elmhurst is a shining example and this is also a very large primary school.

There's a very knowledgeable teacher, Msz who posts a lot on TES and Mumsnet (you could e-mail her via Mumsnet) whose school in a fairly poor area, I understand, gets phenomenal results, using Sounds-Write ( and Phonics International charts ) and the school obviously pays huge attention to 'reading 5 a day' , has a wide selection of decodable readers and seems to manage to provide all the structured teaching and has a heavy emphasis on reading itself.

There are also Jolly Phonics schools which get excellent results - it,s probably the easiest and most child-friendly programme to use for little children.

One of the most important things, imo, is for as many staff to be thoroughly informed as possible.

ealteacher

Post by ealteacher » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Thankyou Geraldine and Lesley for your replies. I have passed them on.
best wishes
Pat