Dan Willingham new video - Teaching an art or a science

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

geraldinecarter

Dan Willingham new video - Teaching an art or a science

Post by geraldinecarter » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:42 pm

http://teachingbattleground.wordpress.c ... illingham/

I can't get my sound to work - v. frustrating but good to hear that he has a book coming out next month on the subject.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Re: Dan Willingham new video - Teaching an art or a science

Post by Susan Godsland » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:06 am

Willingham's latest book is now available but for Kindle only -hardback edition out in August.

When Can You Trust the Experts: How to Tell Good Science from Bad in Education [Kindle Edition]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007OWRCMG/r ... vD.1Z60TVH
Along with some potentially worthy ideas, the last fifty years have encapsulated a flood of educational quackery and nostrums. The innovation and implementation continues, while teachers, administrators, and policymakers have a hard time separating the wheat from the chaff. What makes this so difficult for individuals in the American educational system? They're on their own. There is no research team to evaluate every new idea. But there is pressure to effect change through these innovations.

In When Can You Trust the Experts? Daniel Willingham offers a solution for those who must sift through the information overload and discern which of the latest educational models, programs, and approaches are worthy of their attention. Willingham provides a reliable shortcut comprising four steps. For each step he offers an explanation of why the principle works by referring back to the rules for what constitutes good science. Willingham's easy-to-apply process consists of:

Strip it. Clear away the verbiage and look at the actual claim. What exactly is the claim suggesting a teacher should do, and what outcome is promised?

Trace it. Who created this idea, and what have others said about it? It's common to believe something because an authority confirms it, and this is often a reasonable thing to do. In education research, however, this can be a weak indicator of truth.

Analyze it. Why are you being asked to believe the claim is true? What evidence is offered, and how does the claim square with your own experience?

Should I do it? You're not going to adopt every educational program that is scientifically backed, and it may make sense to adopt one that has not been scientifically evaluated.

When Can You Trust the Experts? offers parents, teachers, administrators, and policymakers the tools they need to ask tougher questions, think more logically about why an intervention might or might not work, and ultimately make more informed decisions.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:40 am

This will be one of my 'must reads' but I shall have to wait for the hard copy as I don't use a kindle! :cry:

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Review of Willingham's book -out in HB any day now:

When Can You Trust the Experts?
http://www.nctq.org/p/tqb/viewStory.jsp?id=32487
Still, as Willingham notes, it remains striking how frequently the field of education seems to get swept up by fads that on closer inspection turn out to be revivified approaches knocked down many years before ("whole language," anyone?). To combat these zombie theories, Willingham holds out the hope that teachers' unions will take on the same role as professional medical associations, which sift through the enormous and burgeoning clinical research literature and, where appropriate, make changes to established "standards of practice."

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:23 pm

Hmm....

Our English teaching unions! :shock:

JAC

Post by JAC » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:22 pm

Neither can I see my union having such a role. When we had outcomes based curriculum in WA my union was falling over itself in support, and absolutely loathed 'PLATO' the group of teachers that managed to get rid of it. :roll:

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:06 pm

An excerpt from Willingham's book 'When Can You Trust the Experts?' is the cover story of American Educator

http://www.aft.org/pdfs/americaneducato ... ingham.pdf

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Secretary of State gives speech to IAA

http://www.education.gov.uk/inthenews/s ... ech-to-iaa
One of the biggest influences on my thinking about education reform has been the American cognitive scientist Daniel T. Willingham who has published the definitive guide to weighing evidence, especially scientific evidence, in the debates around education reform.

In his quite brilliant book “Why Don’t Students Like School”, he explains that students are more motivated to learn if they enjoy what he calls “the pleasurable rush that comes from successful thought”. And that is what exam success provides.
- and Willingham, himself, comments on twitter: ''Finally got the text of #Gove speech. Doesn't use the word "rote"--in fact warns against it, despite this @guardian hed http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012 ... ng-by-rote …''