Post by Kiki » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:12 pm

discussion on now

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Re: radio 4 now

Post by Susan Godsland » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks for the alert Kiki.

Call You and Yours with Julian Worricker
Call You and Yours with Julian Worricker ask if its right that five year olds will be tested on their ability to read?

The government in England wants all children to be taught to read using phonics, where they learn the sounds of letters and groups of letters saying it will help identify children who need extra help. But the National Union of Teachers says it will not tell teachers anything new and that it risks branding very young children as failures.

The reading checks will be run in England's schools in June and are expected to take five to 10 minutes. They are aimed at measuring whether pupils have a good understanding of phonics - the sounds of letters and groups of letters - which the government says is the key to helping children to read.

Currently most schools use phonics to teach children to read, but the government says this should be done more systematically.

So is this the right way to make sure that all children learn to read? Or is it as the critics fear making failures of some children?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ddxc0

Kiki

Re: radio 4 now

Post by Kiki » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:48 pm

I can't listen to stuff like this, it is just too exasperating!! My husband has just called to ask if I am yelling at the radio - sadly, I am...

geraldinecarter

Re: Radio 4: Call You and Yours re. the phonics check

Post by geraldinecarter » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:31 pm

No - it's interesting, Kiki. The more we can understand the mind-set, the better. I only heard the last half hour but both Greg Wallace and Elizabeth were very good. At least the criticism isn't as extreme as it used to be.

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:32 pm

I was in the car and tuned in part of the way through the discussion. The bits of the discussion that I heard were fascinating. Thanks Kiki and Susan, I’m looking forward to listening to the complete programme. I just think that this is a very important and exciting time.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:37 pm

To listen to the whole programme click on the white space above the BBC iplayer logo or go to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b01ddxc0

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:56 pm

I couldn't get your link to work, Susan, but this one does:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... be_tested/

I had to steel myself to listen to it! My goodness, what a lot of high profile 'antis' manged to get themselves on! Congratulations to Gregg Wallace and Elizabeth for providing some sanity...

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:01 pm

You might be interested in seeing what the NUT have put on their page about the phonics screening check.

http://www.teachers.org.uk/node/12925

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:43 pm

Well done Elizabeth and Greg Wallace and I was intrigued by what Julia Douetil had to say about phonics being essential.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:50 pm

JIM CURRAN wrote: I was intrigued by what Julia Douetil had to say about phonics being essential.
Didn't you hear the 'but', Jim ;-)

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:02 pm

I was also interested in what Sue Ellis had to say about Clackmannanshire and more especially the middle class school in the study where she claimed the children in the Scottish equivalent of Key stage 2’s barely scored at the average for reading. She then made the bizarre claim that synthetic phonics taught to more advantaged children could impede learning to read.