Any reading books that introduce graphemes in RWI order

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

volunteer

Any reading books that introduce graphemes in RWI order

Post by volunteer » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:05 pm

I am wanting some decodable reading books that introduce graphemes in exactly the same order as the RWI phonics lesson plans. Each time I work on a new grapheme I want to be able to reinforce it with a short reading book that has introduced just that one new grapheme. The RWI storybooks (7 sets green through to grey) are perfect for this, but the school doesn't want me to use them as they fear it will overlap too much with what is going on in the school phonics sessions. Also they don't want them sent home.

Are there any other sets of books within RWI that I could use, or any other schemes that introduce graphemes in pretty much the same order so that I can reinforce each new grapheme with a short reading book in my one to one session, and then also send it home for consolidation? I think it's going to have to be something good value that I can purchase myself as well.

geraldinecarter

Re: Any reading books that introduce graphemes in RWI order

Post by geraldinecarter » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm not sure that there are any books other than RWI books that introduce correspondences in the same order. It's a pity that the school won't allow you to use them.

If you are not lucky in finding any matching stories, the books I'm involved in distributing might be your next best bet. Correspondences are introduced very, very slowly - stories are (on the whole!) expressive and little characters have their own personalities which young children love. Instructions are incredibly simple for parents to follow. Decoding is absolutely paramount and as sounds and letters are introduced at a slow pace, a second reading enables concentration on fluency, expression - even punctuation. They are used with all the main SP programmes, recommended by a number of trainers and practitioners on the RRF board and are inexpensive. They may be what you need and a set could be sent to you to trial, if you like.

You can see more on www.piperbooks.co.uk

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:03 pm

Thanks Geraldine. It is frustrating because I don't see the harm in him repeating the books, and I really can't imagine that the school is going to cover all the RWI books with him in the short period of time they spend on phonics each week. Trouble is because I am connected with the school in other ways I can't push too much. I might try once more ------- maybe I'll ask which books he will be doing in school phonics sessions and say I'll avoid them, and see if that makes a difference.

Then I'll try the trial you suggest. I might be able to see from that exactly which ones to buy. Oh it's tricky and frustrating. I can see from the reading record that the parents do try, and if it was just more focused on what he can do I think he'd make some headway. I hate to think what the reading at home must currently be like. If all else fails I'll just have to hope that covering more code with him in my sessions will produce a sudden leap forward. I'm feeling guilty now even about using the RWI books in my sessions even though they are my own personal copies!!

Sue Blackburn

Post by Sue Blackburn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:13 pm

Just posted a reply to this, but it didn't seem to work - I will try again.

You could look at the RWI home storybooks that match the school storybooks:

Level 1 (set of 5 hardback books) - match Red Level
Level 2 (set of 5 hardback books) - match Green Level
Level 3 (set of 5 hardback books) - match Purple Level
Level 4 (set of 3 hardback books) - match Pink Level.

They are very popular with parents for supporting reading at home.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:40 pm

You could look at the RWI home storybooks

- and the Oxford Owl website has some of them online -free to view
http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/Library/Inde ... pe=Phonics

Actually, re-reading stories is much recommended -it builds fluency, comprehension and confidence. I get my tutees to read the SRS programme's integrated stories at least 3 times -1st time with me in the lesson, 2nd time at home whilst GPC hunting and 3rd time to the parent or a relative.

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Thank you everyone. Please can you explain a bit more about the RWI home readers if you have them handy. RWI colours for the storybooks go:

green
purple
pink
orange
yellow
blue
grey

How do the home readers fit with that please? And which sets of speed sounds are covered in each book? And do they introduce the sounds one at a time or does a big chunk of sounds need to be learned before moving on to the next book?

Thanks a lot.

Sue Blackburn

Post by Sue Blackburn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:11 pm

As in my previous reply, the home readers match as follows:
Level 1 (set of 5 hardback books) - match Red Ditty Books
Level 2 (set of 5 hardback books) - match Green Set 1
Level 3 (set of 5 hardback books) - match Purple Set 2
Level 4 (set of 3 hardback books) - match Pink Set 3

Levels 1 - 3 are designed to be read once all the sounds in Speed Sound Set 1 are known (i.e. level 1 books cover the same sounds as Level 2 and 3, but the later levels have more challenging words and text).

Level 4 books are designed to be read once the sounds in Speed Sounds Sets 2&3 are known.

These books are therefore good for practising sound blending and reading simple sentences, but on their own do not provide a cumulative set of books in the same way as the school sets.

Kiki

Post by Kiki » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:18 pm

did Ruth's previous 'Superphonics' scheme introduce the graphemes in the same order? The books were written by Gill Munton and published by Hodder

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:34 pm

Ah thank you, I didn't know that red was ditties. I think I need something beyond pink level quite soon, but I'll take a look at it.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:45 pm

There are also RWI non-fiction books:

http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780198469025000.do