Accelerated Reader

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

JIM CURRAN

Accelerated Reader

Post by JIM CURRAN » Tue May 17, 2011 11:56 am

Does anyone have any information on Accelerated Reader?

JIM CURRAN

Re: Accelerated Reader

Post by JIM CURRAN » Tue May 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks Susan, that was very helpful.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:14 am

The 18 Reasons Not to Use Accelerated Reader
http://penningtonpublishing.com/blog/re ... ed-reader/
10. Using AR tends to supplant portions of established reading programs. In my experience, teachers who use AR spend less time on direct reading instruction. Some teachers even consider AR to be solid reading instruction. However, AR does not teach reading; AR tests reading. The expectation of many teachers is that students are learning to read on their own or are dutifully practicing the reading strategies that their teachers have taught them.
This is interesting.
AR recommends a minimum of 20 minutes per day of in-class reading on its website. The National Reading Panel’s conclusion of programs that encouraged independent reading was “unable to find a positive relationship between programs and instruction that encourage large amounts of independent reading and improvements in reading achievement, including fluency.” p.12). There are other options for independent reading, such as reading at home, that do not take up significant amounts of class time.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:43 am

Some teachers even consider AR to be solid reading instruction. However, AR does not teach reading; AR tests reading. The expectation of many teachers is that students are learning to read on their own or are dutifully practicing the reading strategies that their teachers have taught them.
I wonder if that would also apply to Eddie Carron's 'Perceptual Learning' programme!

Our school bought into AR a couple of years before I retired (it was heavily promoted by the Sec English Advisor in our LA). Children certainly didn't get 20 mins of in class reading per day.

I didn't really like any of it but I wasn't involved with it so can't say if it had any benefit.

It would certainly, in my opinion, be absolutely no susbstitute for a proper, human being led, intervention programme for weak readers.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:55 am

The National Reading Panel’s conclusion of programs that encouraged independent reading was “unable to find a positive relationship between programs and instruction that encourage large amounts of independent reading and improvements in reading achievement, including fluency.” p.12).
Diane McGuinness also covers the ''entrenched belief that reading a lot plays a causal role in turning children into accurate and fluent readers who comprehend what they read'' -see Early Reading Instruction. p194->

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu May 07, 2015 9:13 am

It is worth reading a short report on the progress of 9 children using Eddie Carron's 'Literacy Toolbox'. Go to http://realteacher.forumchitchat.com/po ... ?trail=765 and scroll down to the post by 'Senior Member', written yesterday, 6th May 2015.
Elizabeth