Terry Jones writes a book for struggling readers

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Terry Jones writes a book for struggling readers

Post by Susan Godsland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:04 pm

A completely different way to help struggling readers

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 37536.html
The catch-phrase could be used to describe fellow Python Terry Jones's latest book, just published, Trouble on the Heath.

It is in the Quick Reads series – part of World Book Day, which is designed to provide books in a handy format for those struggling to read. The instructions to authors are that no sentence should be more than 20 words and there should be only one three-syllable word in a sentence.

"It was probably the way I write anyway," says Jones, "but also I'm interested in learning disabilities as well. My son was nine before he was diagnosed as dyslexic – that was in the mid-Eighties and there was only one school in London that dealt with dyslexia."

Jones reckons he himself would have struggled to learn to read if he had been taught via the "look and say" method rather than through phonics. Not that he has to worry now. He has two new books about to come out, including a new collection of children's stories called Animal Tales.
Here's chapter one.
How well do you think a struggling reader with a RA in single figures would tackle this?
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/q ... _heath.pdf

geraldinecarter

Re: Terry Jones writes a book for struggling readers

Post by geraldinecarter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:15 pm

No, pity. He hasn't got it ..

At the end of the article in the Independent:

"In the spirit of consensus, a former Labour aide has been chosen under a Conservative/Liberal Democrat Government to become the new chair of the education standards watchdog Ofsted.

The appointment of Baroness Sally Morgan, former Downing Street adviser to Tony Blair, has not met with universal approval, though. Unions query her impartiality, as she is also an adviser to Ark, a major academy sponsor. "

...and a supporter of synthetic phonics, of course. I hope she'll be keeping a beady eye on things.

FEtutor

Post by FEtutor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:34 pm

But Terry Jones does sound interested in the whole topic and might be interested in writing more texts, do you think? Especially if he was offered an insight/ overview of the Alphabetic Code and the reasoning behind decodable books? Andy McNab is definitely a sympathetic Quick Reads author too (sympathetic to the problem certainly, I can't remember where he stands on SP) and there may be others.

I did have this dream of a group of them perhaps combining to write a chapter each of a book....maybe sympathetic RRF trainers could offer them some training........? About five or six years ago I tried contacting Quick Reads to suggest that they publish decodables, but had no response. But I carry no welly.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:00 pm

John Walker has done a blog posting on the Terry Jones book. Perhaps Terry, himself, will read it FEtutor, and be interested enough to contact John?

http://literacyblog.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ly-er.html