Susan Godsland
Administrator

Re: D. McGuinness books now available as Kindle editions

Post by Susan Godsland » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 am

I'm hoping this one will drop in price so I can buy it:

Brain Bugs: How the Brain's Flaws Shape Our Lives [Kindle Edition]
Dean Buonomano

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brain-Bugs-Brai ... 004&sr=8-2
A lively, surprising tour of our mental glitches and how they arise.
With its trillions of connections, the human brain is more beautiful and complex than anything we could ever build, but it's far from perfect. Our memory is unreliable; we can't multiply large sums in our heads; advertising manipulates our judgment; we tend to distrust people who are different from us; supernatural beliefs and superstitions are hard to shake; we prefer instant gratification to long-term gain; and what we presume to be rational decisions are often anything but. Drawing on striking examples and fascinating studies, neuroscientist Dean Buonomano illuminates the causes and consequences of these "bugs" in terms of the brain's innermost workings and their evolutionary purposes. He then goes one step further, examining how our brains function-and malfunction-in the digital, predator-free, information-saturated, special effects-addled world that we have built for ourselves. Along the way, Brain Bugs gives us the tools to hone our cognitive strengths while recognizing our inherent weaknesses.

About the Author
Dean Buonomano is a professor in the Departments of Neurobiology and Psychology and the Brain Research Institute at UCLA.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:34 am

This book recommendation comes from John Walker. He comments, ''Angier’s book is one of the books I’m currently reading and it’s a cracker. It’s a pity that more head teachers and literacy co-ordinators don’t pick it up and read the chapter on ‘Thinking Scientifically’'!

http://literacyblog.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... reads.html

The Canon by Natalie Angier - kindle edition available

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-The-ebook ... hf_p_img_2

''Every cultured person should know a few big things about science – wonderfully bright and engaging, this book tells you what they are''

geraldinecarter

Post by geraldinecarter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:43 pm

This sounds fascinating - thanks John and Susan for flagging it up.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:55 pm

In the Amazon Kindle Spring Sale:

The Queen's English: And How to Use It
by Bernard C. Lamb

99p until April 12th.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Queens-Engl ... 009&sr=1-1

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Wed May 09, 2012 11:10 am

For French speakers:

Et vos enfants ne sauront pas lire... ni compter !
by Marc Le Bris

http://www.amazon.co.uk/enfants-sauront ... 904&sr=1-1

see- http://www.rrf.org.uk/messageforum/view ... ?f=1&t=373

geraldinecarter

Post by geraldinecarter » Wed May 09, 2012 5:43 pm

J'étais un jeune instituteur progressiste, militant des pédagogies actives, convaincu de la supériorité et de l'intelligence de la méthode de lecture dite naturelle'.
sounds like Thumbie (militant TES poster) but the author has obviously changed direction ...
I'll get a decent French speaker to translate...
sounds that it might be a lively read for those with semi-decent French.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:07 am

Out in Kindle format 4th September :Education, Education, Education: Reforming England's Schools
by Andrew Adonis

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Education-Refor ... 235&sr=1-1
Tony Blair said his three priorities were Education, Education, Education. Andrew Adonis played a decisive role in turning this slogan into a reform programme. This book describes his quest to transform England’s schools and his ambition to make English education truly world class. The reinvention of the comprehensive school was the key. Comprehensives were replaced with academies – a radically new form of independent state school characterised by strong leadership and an ethos of aspiration, success and social mobility. Adonis tells the story of academies, from the germ of a reform idea in the late 1990s to the national movement for educational transformation they have become today. And he sets out a new reform manifesto: to make teaching the foremost profession in the country and to break down the Berlin Wall between private and state schools.

geraldinecarter

Post by geraldinecarter » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:12 am

I was lucky enough to read this at manuscript stage. It's written without any frills but it does indirectly reveal much about the workings of the DfE.

It's a very impressive story. One quiet man and his phone and his motivation behind the drive for change.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Review of Education, Education, Education by Andrew Adonis:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... eview.html

JAC

Post by JAC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:53 am

This seems like an excellent read. I've just read the introduction and it is quite stirring really.
I've been away from UK too long to have a real grasp of the changes in secondary education but already I am impressed by Andrew Adonis. I had no idea he had such a tough start in life as a Greek Cypriot semi-orphaned immigrant.
Thanks for the recommendation.
:smile:

geraldinecarter

Post by geraldinecarter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:45 am

My son edited the book - he says that Andrew Adonis is an incredible nice and impressive person. There doesn't seem to be a bad or hubristic bone in his body. It's a truly inspirational story of how someone with a passion for giving people from tough backgrounds the sort of chance he was given. When you're over in England again, JAC, have a look at the transformation of Stockwell Park Comprehensive - which you probably knew of during your time here- and the primary schools in Brixton that are being turned around.

The rush to academy status is causing problems now but breaking through the complacency and blame and in-child deficit culture is an enormous task. There is still a majority that shrugs its shoulders and puts the blame on anything except poor schools, poor leadership.I'm always surprised at the degree of shoulder shrugging that goes on in place of a close look at what is happening. Why, for instance, do secondary schools go on taking 11 year old who can barely read? If they feel they have to, why don't they put energy and passion into ensuring that these children learn basic skills before they are plunged into the meaningless (for them) world of a secondary curriculum.?

JAC

Post by JAC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:22 pm

I can hardly put this book down!