It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: 'Light-touch, phonics-based check' for Y1 children
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:17 pm 
Administrator

NUT conference round-up

Quote:
Teachers passed a motion opposing the use of phonics reading testing—which would be carried out on children as young as five.

They voted for a campaign, including a boycott if the Year 1 Phonics Test is used to contribute to league tables.

The national executive member moving the motion said, “I did not come into teaching to label children as failures. I will stop the test at the first sign of a child’s stress as a result.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:25 pm 

Quote:
I will stop the test at the first sign of a child’s stress as a result.

That's what those who support the check would expect them to do!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:48 pm 
Administrator

Thinly Spread blog: The Year One Phonics Test – My View

http://thinlyspread.co.uk/2012/03/08/th ... t-my-view/

Quote:
The test is made up of a mixture of real words and MADE UP WORDS! This is apparently to assess decoding skills specifically and make sure they can’t guess the word! One of the skills of reading IS guessing what the word might be using your previous knowledge of text. What a stumbling block! If you had put this test in front of my first born who read very early and was pretty fluent by year one he would’ve hesitated, he would’ve been reluctant to have a go, he would’ve doubted himself BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT REAL WORDS! Can you imagine if Mr Gove was in opposition and a Labour Government proposed a test containing the words ‘snemp’ or ‘thazz’ or ‘chom’? I think he’d be shouting about the loony left, teaching our children gibberish!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:05 am 
Administrator

Now the NAHT spread unwarranted fear about the phonics check:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... exams.html

Quote:
Activists are also proposing to block a controversial new reading test for all six-year-olds, which is being staged for the first time this summer, if ministers attempt to use the data to rank schools.

Quote:
Russell Hobby, the union’s general secretary, said: "We fear that the pass rate for the new phonics screening check will be set at an arbitrary high level in order to fuel headlines about children failing to learn to read.

"We don't see the need for this screening check - it is inferior to what most schools do already - but if it is to happen it should be used as a genuine diagnostic test, not a stick to beat schools with. And if it is used to attack rather than assess, that will be the end of the screening check as far as the NAHT is concerned.”

The pass rate was set by about 50 teachers whose schools were involved in the pilot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:52 pm 
Administrator

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/584745.aspx

The thread from the TES Primary Forum above is dedicated to the advent of the first official phonics screening check June 2012 - comments and observations of Year One teachers.

I thought it was worth flagging up on this thread to show the development of events for the screening check....!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:20 pm 
Administrator

Phonics test 'resit' in year 2

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/619923.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:41 pm 
Administrator

Thank you Prof. Dorothy Bishop for saying that the principles behind the phonics screening check 'make a lot of sense'

Radio4 All in the mind - approx. 14 minutes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03hvx74

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:01 am 
Administrator

KS1 and Phonics Screening Check outcomes (updated):

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... gland-2013

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:54 pm 
Administrator

Dr. Steven Dykstra, an adolescent psychologist and a founding member of the Wisconsin Reading Coalition, explains why nonsense words are essential for assessing phonics decoding skills.

Quote:
The biggest argument for nonsense words in assessment (not always in screening, but certainly in diagnostic assessment when indicated) is that it lets us isolate a given skill from other skills which could be used to compensate. When I show you a nonsense word I know you don't have it in your memory because you've never seen it before. You can't rely on anything except phonological decoding skills so I know I'm assessing your phonological decoding skills and nothing else. You can't recognize the word from memory because you've never seen it before and you can't infer it from context because there is no context.

If I want to assess the strength in your right arm I could ask you to lift weights. But I have to make sure you don't use your left arm, or your legs, or your back, or the muscles around your shoulder to lift the weight. If I want to assess the strength of your bicep I have to make sure you can't use other muscles to make up for your weak bicep

Arguing that reading nonsense words doesn't directly mimic to authentic reading is beside the point. If you ever have a careful neurological exam of your cervical spine the doctor will ask you to flex and move your fingers in very specific ways. None of these movements are ever performed in isolation in day-to-day living, and none of them can't be supplemented with other movements to compensate in case there is a problem. But isolating them lets the doctor determine the specific nerves that might be damaged and the exact spot in the spine that might be involved. That's why they do it, not because it mimics actual movements people do in their lives, but because it provides essential information.

I suppose if some doctors practiced "Whole Neurology" or "Balanced Neurology" they would object to those exams, but they'd be wrong and their patients would suffer for it. Of course, that would never happen because the profession wouldn't allow it and malpractice lawsuits would punish it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:07 am 
Administrator

Oh dear, someone (a teacher) doesn't like the phonics check.

http://shinbonestar.org/2014/03/21/barking-at-print/
Quote:
For example, in 2012 one of my pupils was two marks short of the passing grade. Due to the way the data is conveyed to the DfE they were classed as equal a failure as their classmate whose score was far, far closer to zero. The same pupil, on re-testing in 2013, remained two marks short of the passing grade, despite having developed as a much more fluent, capable and voracious reader. It wasn’t the pupil that failed the test, but the test that failed the pupil.

Quote:
Format is the first stumbling block. Words in the test are presented without images or context. The sop of an ‘alien’ picture to indicate a nonsense word is the only apparent recognition that for children in Year 1, text is often accompanied by images to lend context and assist in decoding.

Sigh.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9