TES: Phonics fails dyslexics, says head

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Susan Godsland
Administrator

TES: Phonics fails dyslexics, says head

Post by Susan Godsland » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:45 am

Another addition to my Room 101.

Expert says method slows down the progress of special needs pupils
Dr Brown’s book, Morphemes, Meaning and Literacy, to be published next year, outlines his theory of language, which led him to develop the alternative, visual literacy method that has been used at his school since 1981.

Dr Brown insists that his “morphological” technique is effective with dyslexic children who have been failed by phonics and multi-sensory techniques because it uses picture icons to attach meaning to morphemes, or word segments.

Under the morphological method (or icon system), instead of focusing on sounds, words are broken down into morphemes (or units of meaning), which are then assigned pictures.
http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6002967

We've discussed Maple Hayes, and other independent 'dyslexia' schools, on the board in the past:

http://www.rrf.org.uk/messageforum/viewtopic.php?t=3432

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Re: TES: Phonics fails dyslexics, says head

Post by Susan Godsland » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:41 pm

http://www.lichfieldmercury.co.uk/good- ... story.html
Now, after almost 25 years analysing the way dyslexics learn, the Browns have rewritten the dictionary after identifying that its layout, which is biased towards phonetic language, proved a huge stumbling block for youngsters with dyslexia.
"We teach literacy using an entirely different method to phonics, instead using the 'morphological approach' which was developed by my father over 30 years ago.

"This bypasses the requirement to learn words by sounding them out – instead using icon meaning cards to visually represent words or parts of words.

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:57 pm

How do they apparently get decent g c s e results?

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:30 am

I haven't looked at their GCSE results but, as Thinking Reading points out:
In reality, it is possible for a school to have good 5 A* - C including English and Maths and still have scores of students in the same cohort unable to read and write properly. It is a reality I have witnessed.
http://www.thinkingreading.net/blog/201 ... is-failing

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:35 am

I would absolutely agree with Thinking Reading.

Maple Hayes Ofsted report 2011

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 9006,d.ZGU

Note that all pupils are 'of average ability'. That makes life a bit easier...

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:28 am

I'm not sure I understand this though. The thinking reading report is saying that you can have a good proportion of 5 A to C but still have other children whose literacy skills are poor. Whereas, at Maple Hayes I am getting the impression (and it is just an impression) from what the OFSTED report and the headteacher quotes are saying, that they don't have this issue?

Having said that, I don't understand the OFSTED report really. It doesn't tell you whether these children really can read and write at a decent level by 16 or not.

The DfE performance tables tell another tale. The results most years are pretty rubbish. 2011 was a peak year.

Smoke screens and flatter and deceive.

As an independent school do they have to have OFSTED? Bet they won't want them back with their new ways of inspecting the teaching of reading.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:12 pm

They don't get 'good' GCSE results, not if you go by the usual criterion of 5 grade A* - C including Maths & English

There's a table here:

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/school-find ... ol/124488/

I suspect that English is the stumbling block. It is fairly easy to get most other GCSEs, especially with special access arangements (readers, extra time etc) but a C for English does require reading skills.

But, with only 125 pupils, presumably spread over Y7 - Y11, there would be an average of 25 pupils per year group. Individual pupil's attainment (or lack of) at GCSE in cohorts this small would have a strong influence on the percentage figure.

I am absolutely intrigued by this 'morphemic' method. :mrgreen:

Edit: Sorry, inaccurate figures. 116 pupils spread over Y3 - Y13, so, 10 years = average 11 pupils per year group. Individual pupil results even more significant.

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:20 pm

Yes. Particularly the quote from pupils in the OFSTED report which says that they will always need this method, whatever it is. Does Dr Whathisname re-write everything the pupils may want to read in their future life?

JIM CURRAN

Post by JIM CURRAN » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:52 am

Their GCSE results for five or more including Maths and English grades A* - C are abysmal or am I not reading the graph correctly. Their best year was 2011 with 29 per cent. There are no children on the free school meals register. Last year in my own school which has 40 per cent free school meals 54 % of the students achieved 5 or more GCSE's grades A* - C including Maths and English and we have a Grammar school on the same campus which takes the most academically gifted.

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:27 pm

And we do know that many 'dyslexics' have no problem with GCSEs and A levels but very many are 'diagnosed' when they get to university...

It might make one wonder quite what 'dyslexia' means ;-)

volunteer

Post by volunteer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Yes, their results on the DfE website are rubbish - 2011 was a (low) peak. How did OFSTED say what it did in 2011? Have they written these children off too?