Allographs: a new linguistic phonics programme

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Allographs: a new linguistic phonics programme

Post by Susan Godsland » Fri May 23, 2008 12:27 pm

There's a new kid on the 'N. American reading program' block :smile:

Prof. Diane McGuinness's own programme *Allographs

A comprehensive linguistic phonics programme. Designed for students of all ages with a reading/spelling age of 7 to 8 years. Lessons are partially scripted, and no training is required to teach it effectively. It can be used in all settings (home, tutoring center, classroom), and works equally well for students with reading and spelling difficulties.

Allographs I is a spelling programme designed to follow on from a basic synthetic phonics programme, which in the States would be taught in Year 1 (age 6). Allographs I assumes knowledge of the Basic Code (one spelling for each sound in the language), and hence will follow after any beginning reading programme using synthetic phonics. Allographs II teaches the second level of the spelling code which is based on syllable units/units of meaning (morphemes) and not on phonemes.

N.B this is a Canadian publication but available to UK purchasers -order online/UK tel. There are additional sheets (inserts) for UK spelling.

www.trafford.com/4dcgi/view-item?item=22051 Parent/Teacher Manual 1.
www.trafford.com/07-2604 Parent/Teacher Manual 2.
www.trafford.com/4dcgi/view-item?item=22054 Worksheets/Stories

Programme dictionary and workbook available soon - it may be better to wait until everything is "published" on their site, and the multiple copy pricing is sorted.

*Allographs: "All the graphs (letters) for each sound in a language."

JIM CURRAN

Subject

Post by JIM CURRAN » Fri May 23, 2008 7:21 pm

Thanks Susan, for this very useful information.

Derrie Clark

Post by Derrie Clark » Fri May 23, 2008 7:33 pm

Why isn't Dianne McGuinness the Government's consultant on literacy???????

Here is someone who really knows what she is talking about!

AngusM

Post by AngusM » Sun May 25, 2008 6:01 am

Thanks Susan!

MonaMMcNee

Allographs

Post by MonaMMcNee » Sun May 25, 2008 1:38 pm

Definition: Allographs: "All the graphs (letters) for each sound in a language."
so this is anther sounds to spellings, and not letters-sounds-words.

palisadesk

Re: Allographs

Post by palisadesk » Mon May 26, 2008 1:04 am

Definition: Allographs: "All the graphs (letters) for each sound in a language."
That's disappointing -- I had figured it was etymologically based, coming from D. McGuinness. "allos" is the Greek for different, various, other; while "graph" is Greek for letter, symbol or writing. Thus, "allographs," the various written representations for speech sounds. Complex code.

"All of the graphs" sounds hybrid and even inaccurate. Oh well.

<i> Allographs</i> has been available before -- I got it about a decade ago, when I took the 5-day training for a related linguistic-phonic-type program. I will haveto have a look to see if the new edition has changed in any significant ways.

Susan S.

AngusM

Post by AngusM » Mon May 26, 2008 5:29 am

Dear Susan:

I think you'll see from the documentation that DMcG is indeed referring to the entire Code - including the Complex (or Advanced Code) - because as Susan Godsland says:

"Allographs I assumes knowledge of the Basic Code (one spelling for each sound in the language), and hence will follow after any beginning reading programme using synthetic phonics. Allographs II teaches the second level of the spelling code which is based on syllable units/units of meaning (morphemes) and not on phonemes.

Here is a dictionary definition - which I think differs little from yours and hers (bearing in mind that DMcG refers to 'Allographs' in the plural:

al·lo·graph

Pronunciation: \ˈa-lə-ˌgraf\

Function: noun

Date: 1951

1 : a letter of an alphabet in a particular shape (as A or a)
2 : a letter or combination of letters that is one of several ways of representing one phoneme (as pp in hopping representing the phoneme \p\)

— al·lo·graph·ic \ˌa-lə-ˈgra-fik\ adjective

Angus

Scott

Sound Steps to Reading

Post by Scott » Wed May 28, 2008 5:13 am

Does anyone know if this is taking the place of the "forthcoming" Sound Steps to Reading?

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Wed May 28, 2008 9:41 am

I presume not, Scott.

According to this page:
http://www.ourrighttoread.com/englishalphabet.html
Diane McGuinness.Sound Steps to Reading. (Parents, Classroom teachers) to be Published in Autumn 2008 by
Trafford Publishing.

Scott

Great news

Post by Scott » Thu May 29, 2008 12:26 am

Thanks!

cartwheel

Post by cartwheel » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:51 pm

Has anyone had a chance to look at these resources yet, including the Allographs Dictionary (which now appears to be available at Trafford Publishing http://www.trafford.com/07-2606 )? The program sounds intriguing. I wonder if just the dictionary would be helpful/fun for kids who read well, but are still working on their spelling.
Jennie

Anna

Post by Anna » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:41 am

Hi Cartwheel,

I haven't looked at the materials, so I can't help you there. However, I wanted to add that they are now available in the UK (found on Amazon.co.uk, Waterstones and WH Smith websites). I assume this is a UK version as far as spelling goes.

I recently recommended them to a local homeschooling mum who was in touch with me for Maths tutoring, as she said her daughter was a good reader but weaker at spelling. I don't know if she bought them though.

I would like to see them, out of interest, as I use Fiona's Sound Reading System, which is based on Diane's analysis, with some of my pupils and I'd be interested to compare. :smile:

chew8

Post by chew8 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:16 am

Diane McG. very kindly sent me the following several years ago: 'Allographs I Parent/Teacher Manual', 'Allographs I Worksheets', 'Allographs I Dictionary', 'Allographs II Yeacher/Parent Manual', 'Allographs II Student Workbook'. These are all 1997/98 vintage and based on American pronunciation, so if 'Allographs' is now published in the UK, I guess it must have been revised to reflect British pronunciation.

Jenny C.