Jim Rose to recommend RR????

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Hammered

Jim Rose to recommend RR????

Post by Hammered » Wed May 07, 2008 3:09 pm

Probably more a case of the journalist being as confused as the rest of us about the government's mixed messages. But an interesting development nonetheless....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7387371.stm

kenm

Post by kenm » Wed May 07, 2008 10:58 pm

The article referred to "a reading recovery programme", with no capitals, so the journalist didn't think he was writing about the specific method.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

FEtutor

Post by FEtutor » Thu May 08, 2008 12:06 am

Here is the dfes release:

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/pns/DisplayPN.cg ... =2008_0078

I think it must surely be good news to have Jim Rose in charge.

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Thu May 08, 2008 8:30 am

"a reading recovery programme", with no capitals
Call me overly suspicious, but I've noticed RR being mentioned in the press with a lack of capitals on a few occasions now and wonder if this is happening deliberately.

Is it being done to give the impression that RR is not a highly commercial programme, especially as I've learnt on the WhichPhonics website that, the 'government can not be seen to be promoting any scheme over another', by one of those who was on the 'independent' team of phonic programme assessors :shock:

chew8

Post by chew8 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:55 am

I agree with FEtutor that having Jim Rose in charge of this review is good news. I have a lot of faith in him - I think he has a good grasp of the extent to which the right kind of first-time teaching can prevent problems, and also of the way that remedial programmes, where there is a genuine need for them, should mesh in well with official guidance on mainstream teaching.

Jenny C.

g.carter

Post by g.carter » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:54 am

Was this flagged up at all?
http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools ... 58,00.html

Do we know anything about plans to instal Reading Recovery teachers in (all??) schools. How are two incompatible approaches going to work together? Will the Rose Investigation have much clout if the Reading Recovery teachers are already in schools? Surely it would be too much of an embarrassment for the DCSF to make a U-turn on this politically hot potato?