Appeal to the university and college lecturers

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Appeal to the university and college lecturers

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:59 am

There are a few university and college lecturers who have contacted us via the message board and via email over the years.

I have also trained in a few places and had a few inquiries re training from various establishments.

It would be wonderful if college lecturers involved with teacher-training in reading instruction would be so good as to update us on events in their establishements...

...and also would offer to write us articles, or 'readers' letters' for the next RRF newsletter...please.

We would also be interested to learn if there has been any changes on the reading lists of any colleges.

When my daughter attended such an establishment only a couple of years ago, she found a copy of Diane McGuinness's 'Why Children Can't Read' in the college library - but this was not on the book list.

The book list was dominated by mixed methods literature - Anne Brown was one lady who had several books on the reading list. All very meaty and all mixed methods. In fact, the business of teaching reading was made to seem very onerous as all the books were extraordinarily heavy-going.

It seemed fashionable to write books about 'reading environment'. I could write a pamphlet to satisfy this purpose - but no, the books were many pages long and several of them. Nothing, however, on the simplicity of synthetic phonics teaching!

I ramble on...

Any responses which help to inform us on the state of play in the teacher-training establishments would be most welcome.

I am really hoping for some good news and some positive responses with a view to 'leading the way'...

Thank you! :lol:

JIM CURRAN

Subject

Post by JIM CURRAN » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:35 pm

Three months ago Debbie I was given the opportunity to speak to a group of College Lectures as regards our concerns about how trainee teachers were being prepared to teach reading in primary school classrooms.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:35 am

I have had some info. via the grapevine which suggests that the DCSF (ex-DfES) may check up to see that teacher-training institutions are training according to the new government guidelines. This will not be popular in many quarters!

Jenny C.

bwking

Post by bwking » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:24 pm

Thanks Jenny,

So we have to look out for the new initials DCFS, the latest of the big ideas, instead of DFES which we had sort of grown used to.

And that they 'may check up to see that teacher training institutions are training according to the new government guidelines'. But the question is, how many of the new inspectors are fired up with Synthetic Phonics and know what the hell they are looking at?

Brian

g.carter

Post by g.carter » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:56 am

I think there are around 130 ITTs. Perhaps we should get the addresses and e-mail them for their reading lists?

JIM CURRAN

Subject

Post by JIM CURRAN » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:22 pm

I think that most of us realise that there will be huge problems in turning the Education Colleges around. They may be forced to pay lip service but hearts and minds is what is required if young trainees are to get what they really need.

chew8

Post by chew8 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:00 pm

I agree, Jim. The ideal scenario would be that a wholesale change in hearts and minds should occur overnight. We all know, however, that this is not going to happen. In view of that, we should welcome whatever moves there are in the right direction even if they are much smaller than we would ideally like.

Jenny C.