TES/Early Years forum - plea for assessment

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

g.carter

TES/Early Years forum - plea for assessment

Post by g.carter » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:08 am

Surely it's time for this whole question of assessment to be dealt with?

This cri de coeur from an Early Years poster 'What's the point of the FSP?' says it all:

'When the data is totally unreliable and shows bugger all?
I really don't see the point in it. I have worked so hard this year with a synthetic phonics approach and as a result am so pleased with my children's reading and writing. Apart from a few low ones, they can independently with no prompting write basic recount sentences. One girl really pleased me with as I watched her think on which spelling she would use for the 'or' sound in walk, then settling on the correct 'al'. I am so happy with them.

The other reception teacher has been very sceptical about the phonics approach and I reached the point where I decided that the only way to show how effective it could be was to go ahead myself and then the result would prove my point at the end of the year.

However, I now discover that the FSP is crap at actually showing how well children can read or write. In fact, children can score 6s without being able to read or write very much at all. So when the HT looks at the percentage of children scoring 6 or above, the classes look very similar. The other thing is, I have to say that I cannot be 100% sure that there is such a difference. But both our classes share a TA and she has remarked for some time on the difference between their abilities. I have also seen independent writing from many of her children when both classes share learning areas.

I know that I sound like I am being competitive and trying to put someone else down. But genuinely I am not. I am genuinely interested in improving the abilities of all children and feel very strongly about the impact synthetic phonics can have. I also genuinely would like to know whether my different approach has made as much difference as I think it has.'

kenm

Re: TES/Early Years forum - plea for assessment

Post by kenm » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:59 am

g.carter wrote:Surely it's time for this whole question of assessment to be dealt with?
I agree, but the political aspects of the problem are much more difficult than the technical ones.
This cri de coeur from an Early Years poster 'What's the point of the FSP?' says it all:
Please define FSP for me to put on the abbreviations list.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

bwking

Post by bwking » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:18 pm

I have just googled up a definition from the DfES, via a LEA:

Foundation Stage Profile - a report summarising a group of children's achievements by the end of the reception year in six designated ares of learning. English (and Welsh?).

Brian