Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Susan Godsland
Administrator

TREAT: listen to R4 book 'The Heart of the Dales'

Post by Susan Godsland » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:14 pm

This is a real treat - don't miss the chance to hear it :grin:

The Heart of the Dales
Written and read by Gervase Phinn
In his fourth year as inspector for Drama and English, Gervase visits village primary schools set amongst breathtaking scenery and gets to know both the staff and their delightful pupils
Listen now for seven days after broadcast

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/book_week.shtml

bwking

Post by bwking » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:23 pm

I'd be happier about listening to Gervase relating his charming anecdotes about straightforward rural Yorkshire children if his interest in education extended beyond self-created 'poetry' and such creative stuff. He doesn't seem to have any in levels of literacy, judging by writing of his I have read, for example.

Brian

bwking

Post by bwking » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:07 pm

...in fact, I think the accent-fighting Gervase takes the customary humorous approach of the progressives to teaching. This attitude to the unfortunate classes particularly, in the urban sink schools, gives him the impetus to expand his humour to relating tales of social degeneration in a pretty exploitative way. He positively relishes the adherence to 'natural' speech, unmediated by the standard, in that progressive promotion of the local. His tales at times verge on the traditional, patronising ones of yokel incomprehension and malapropism.

In other words, he gets reet up mah nose. Sorry, teachers!

B.

marylennox

Post by marylennox » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:59 pm

Us local yokels have long learned to tolerate Gervase's little ways - we know that these books are works of fiction, as are most of his anecdotes. As a South Yorkshire man he understands the folks of the North Yorkshire dales no better than other southerners do! -bwking we are far too robust to be upset or insulted by his patronising portrayal of us.

bwking

Post by bwking » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:48 pm

Mary,

You interest me strangely. You obviously know more than I, or probably most of the RRFers, do about Gervase's ignorance and duplicity. Would you care to enlighten us with examples of his misunderstanding and money-spinning fictionalisation? As it's Saturday night?

Brian (from Nottingham, even further south).

marylennox

Post by marylennox » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:43 pm

Gervase, who lived in Doncaster throughout, was, for a few years, an adviser in NYorks. We obviously gave him enough material in that short time to keep him for the rest of his days! However I have never yet met a teacher on my travels around schools in the same area who could identify a child in any of his anecdotes!
The majority of Dales villages these days are populated anyway by commuters whose children wouldn't know one end of a sheep from another. And as for the dialect I haven't heard some of his expressions and words for 30 odd years.
'James Herriot' did much the same but at least he lived here for 50 years!

elsy

Post by elsy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:27 pm

I don't recall him ever visiting my N Yorks. primary school, but then it wasn't quite in the Dales! It certainly was nothing like any of the anecdotes I've ever heard. :grin: