Daughter's progress

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

lks

Daughter's progress

Post by lks » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:55 pm

Ever since yr 3 daughter has had 1:1 support from an L.S.A. during the literacy hour. She was taken out of class and they would sit in a room and work on her reading. As most of you know despite this 'intensive' help she failed to make progress. I do not blame the LSA as she hadn't had any training and was following orders! The Senco has recently e-mailed me to say that they are so pleased at how my daughter has progressed that they have moved her into the lower ability literacy group and in fact when she was reading with the group her reading ability was higher than all of them. Comprehension is still a problem at the moment but I think the more she reads the better this will become.

Debbie Hepplewhite
Administrator

Post by Debbie Hepplewhite » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:36 pm

This is fantastic news for you and your daughter but it doesn't say much for all the other children struggling in their literacy group.

It begs the question as to what they also could have achieved with the correct teaching of reading, spelling and handwriting.

How much have you shared the secrets of your daughter's improvements with the school and are they willing to analyse their own teaching in the light of your daughter's apparently dramatic improvements?

I am so pleased for you and I am sure I speak for everyone else on the RRF message board! :lol:

CuriousMum

Post by CuriousMum » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:12 am

That is brilliant news and you must be so proud of your daughter, and yourself, for taking the action you have.

lks

Post by lks » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:35 am

I have just been in to a meeting re my daughter with the CT, senco and LSA. The CT had very little to say as she has nothing to do with the teaching of reading to my daughter. The senco although very interested in the method that has been used for my daughter still maintains that her progress is down to many things including 'she just wasn't ready before, she is far more co-operative now and willing to listen, she has successfully learnt all of the yr1/yr2 HFW and is far more willing to discuss what is happening in stories and what she thinks will happen next. ':roll: All I can do now is pass on the information I have gathered to other parents I know whose children are 'struggling'. One girl is in my daughters class. She is adopted. Her parents have recently paid for a very expensive dyslexia report, which states that she is severely dyslexic, and has a reading age of approx. 6yrs. The school as I have said before, puts in a lot of support for the children. But I think it is quite obvious it is not the right support. Even if it is an hour of 1:1. An hour of 1:1 doing the same sort of things that you have been doing for years doesn't work.

kenm

Post by kenm » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:31 am

lks wrote:[...]The senco although very interested in the method that has been used for my daughter still maintains that her progress is down to many things including 'she just wasn't ready before, she is far more co-operative now and willing to listen, she has successfully learnt all of the yr1/yr2 HFW and is far more willing to discuss what is happening in stories and what she thinks will happen next.[...]
"Common" sense often sees correlation and gets the direction of causality wrong. A SENCO ought to be educated to be aware of the danger, but even so they seem to be able to blind themselves to the obvious idea that you can't be interested in what you can't read.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

Anna

Post by Anna » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:50 am

Hi Ilks,

If I am correct, your daughter is in Year 5. How can a teacher really believe that a child is not ready to learn to read before Year 5?? :cry:

No doubt she has been able to learn the HF words because most will have been slotted into the sounds she has covered in the SRS lessons and they have been broken into the sounds, rather than learned as global units.

It can be very hard for professionals to admit, especially when they are giving children extra 1:1 support, that it needs to be the right sort of help. It's such a shame because if they embraced synthetic phonics they could help all the other strugglers. It could easily be done by the LSA with a group using RML as Maizie does or Sounds-Write.

It would make everyone's lives so much easier as the class teacher wouldn't have to differentiate every lesson. By Yr 5 and 6, there can be a huge gap in attainment, which must be a nightmare to accommodate.

I am really pleased to hear about the progress your daughter has made. Has she finished the SRS lessons now?